Partitioning External HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dakine17, Nov 16, 2011.

1. dakine17 macrumors newbie

dakine17

I recently bought a WD My Passport a month ago and partitioned it using disk utilities. It's 1TB and i used 600 GB PC format (exFAT), and 400 GB Mac Journaled. both partitioned and it was able to open up. I notice that when i partition, it only shows two Mac's and 1 exFAT and Free Space. The Mac partitioned worked as a time machine backup and i could also put PC files on the PC side.

Here lies the issue. When i plug my HDD to a windows computer, the PC nor the Mac shows up. I can understand the mac cause its on a different format, but i was wondering why my PC doesnt show up at all. Does anyone know how i can properly partition a windows and a mac journaled?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

What version of Windows are you running? Your partition table format may have been GUID, and not all versions of Windows recognize that. Furthermore, not all versions of Windows recognize ExFAT. (e.g. ExFAT support is a custom installation on XP, but XP doesn't support GPT.)

3. dakine17 thread starter macrumors newbie

dakine17

Thanks for your help Detrius.

I noticed that my table was under Apple Table. So i had to reformat my HDD to GUID. I noticed that the third Table, cant 'drag-&-drop' any new files from my MBP.

4. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I would avoid exFAT for now. You're better off with NTFS or FAT32 for the Windows partition.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Exfat

Won't be recognised, as posted above FAT32 (waste of HDD space due to larger clusters) or NTFS (smaller clusters, better use)

Both the above will be operable in Windows, and your Mac partition is fine.

6. dakine17 thread starter macrumors newbie

dakine17

I'm currently on FAT32. i did NTFS at first but i couldn't transfer any windows files from my mac to the HDD. Is there anyway to use NTFS and be able to transfer documents from Mac to HDD?

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

I can't vouch for either as I have no experience with them, but applications called Paragon and NTFS-3G would allow you to do that.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Why? I use it to share between windows 7 and OSX without issues.

9. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Some people still use XP. ;)

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

:eek: