Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
So Boot Camp partitioning failed. And also Disk Utility failed.

I've repaired disk permissions. Repaired disk.

Macs hard drive doesnt have to be defraged. But im suspecting that thats the problem.

I remember posting here already and successfully doing it(without the help of a forum member, it just magically worked after moving around bug files) but this time Im helping out a friend. He has a 500 gb hard drive and has around 430 gb left.

Im trying to boot into the recovery partition right now.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Is this a 10.7.x Mac or a 10.6.x Mac?

The point is to Repair the Disk from a DVD or in Lion from the hidden partition. See if you do that then Boot Camp will partition after doing that.

Last edited:

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Is this a 1-0.7.x Mac or a 10.6.x Mac?

The point is to Repair the Disk from a DVD or in Lion from the hidden partition. See if you do that then Boot Camp will partition after doing that.

Its Lion.
I thought i mentioned that but seems like i didnt.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
The hard disk having errors on it is probably the 90% of partitioning problems.

Ok so i went into Recovery HD partition and tried to do what i did. Still not working. It shows couldnt unmount disk

Last edited:

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
If this is Lion FAT32 will NOT work in Boot Camp for Windows 7. It must be NTFS.

If this still will not work consider replacing for internal drive.

Sorry but what do you mean? Windows 7 needs NTFS anyways and i know that. But I cant even partition the drive regardless of the format!

This is why i still havent upgraded to Lion. Too many bugs.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Well excuse Me for trying to help you. I done talking to you!

No. Its just that your previous post didnt make sense to me. So i clarified it to my understanding, hoping you would clarify what you actually mean. If i offended you, then I'm sorry and it was definitely unintended.

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
Ok so i went into Recovery HD partition and tried to do what i did. Still not working. It shows couldnt unmount disk

can't unmount disc if in use best use cd to run app as recovery hd is on disc you want to unmount. it best to use ext hd of boot disc for this.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
can't unmount disc if in use best use cd to run app as recovery hd is on disc you want to unmount. it best to use ext hd of boot disc for this.

Ok so should I install Lion on an external hard drive and boot it off that?

Thanks you!

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
that would be best bet if lion then use that to run prog on main comp disc

well, the thing is, the computer is lion pre-installed. I dont want to waste 30 dollars on lion to try and get boot camp working on a computer thats not even mine. so i guess its my friend's choice.

thanks for helping!

EDIT: Can these mac still boot my SL disk although its Lion pre installed?

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
It wouldn't hurt to try. I can't boot my wife's 2008 MBP with my 2011 SL disk, nor can I boot mine with her distro disk.

you can always use carbon copy cloner to copy to ext hd then boot from there if go to macupdate .com and search for ccc. should get free download from them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.