Partitioning hard drive to work on PS3/PC/OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Meever, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Meever macrumors 6502a

I figured Just partitioning and splitting the drive into 3 (Fat, journaled and some space unformatted and formatting it into ntsf via windows) would do the trick but alas, something went wrong.

The hard drive isn't recognized on the PS3 or windows. Windows see the hard drive but None of the partitions are recognized.

Well, so I tried on windows. I partitioned 1.3tb into fat32, 300 into NTSF, and left like 500gb empty so I can format it in OSX.... but uhhh.... what the heck? OSX can see the partitions but can't format the unallocated space.

So, yeah, some help would be great. Thanks guys.

2. Sergeant Pepper macrumors member

Why not try formatting the Free Space partition as FAT in OS X and then reformatting it to NTFS in Windows?

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think you can have HFS+ (Mac), NTFS, and FAT32 all on the same drive. Even with different partitions. Yes, I know BootCamp Assistant does it. But BootCamp Assistant doesn't follow normal procedues.

The best thing might be formatting it in NTFS and using a NTFS read/write driver for Mac, like NTFS-3G.

4. larkost macrumors 6502a

Yes you can have all of those formats on a single disk, it is not even hard. The BootCamp Assistant does not do anything that Disk Utility can't (and the latter can take care of a lot more complicated setups).

The big secret here is that you are probably going to have to erase the whole drive and partition it as a FAT drive (note this is different from formatting a volume as FAT32). You need to go to the "Partition" tab in Disk Utility, and click on Options... when you do. If the drive is not formated FAT, then the PS3 is probably not going to recognize it (I am assuming that it recognizes FAT partition table).

Any you are correct in that you are going to need to create the NTFS partition from within Windows.