Partitioning in Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JasonBourneOSX, Jul 5, 2008.

1. JasonBourneOSX macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Im pretty new to OSX leopard and was wondering if there were an option to partition internal drives during setup (when OSX is being installed)

thanks in advance!

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes you can. Using disk utility (its in one of the menus) As soon as the disk loads.

However, what are you attempting to gain by partitioning it?

3. JasonBourneOSX thread starter macrumors newbie

well its mostly a windows habit but I think it might help with organization. On macs do you put documents, photos etc in the home folder? (/home)

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

There is a user folder yes that has a home looking folder. Within it there is folders for documents,music, movies, pictures and a couple other things. You can of coarse make your own folders if needed. They do the same thing as partitions for organization except within locking hard drive space into a partition. Of coarse its not always locked in as you can resize them. But its better just not to have the issue in the first place.

5. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

The only reason I did that under Windows was so that I didn't need to restore all of my old files each time I needed to wipe and reinstall Windows. Been a Mac user for 3 years now and I aint ever had to do that except when purchasing a new mac.