Partitioning Mac iPod to act as disk on Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by biting-mammal, Aug 8, 2007.

1. biting-mammal macrumors newbie

Hello, I am new here so hopefully I am posting in the correct section!

I would like to copy some very large files (around 8 gigs) from a Windows XP computer to my Mac, using my Mac formatted iPod. I know that Windows cannot read Mac formatted iPods without 3rd party software, but installing software on the PC isn't an option.

So, what I'm thinking of doing is partioning my iPod using Apple's Disk Utility and under the 'Format' option, I will select 'Free Space'. I don't care if I delete my songs because I have them all on my hard drive anyway. So, if I do this and the iPod partions to "Free Space" would this be able to be accessed on the Windows computer? Or will it still not be recognised by the PC?

I am planning to do this as a temporary measure, so am also not too concerned if I can't use my iPod as a mp3 player whilst it is partitioned. However, would I be able to easily just Restore my iPod and have it working good as new again once I've transferred the files and no longer need it partioned? I don't want to be stuck with a iPod that can't play music any more!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to participating in this mac community!! :D

2. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Why not format the iPod under Windows? Mac's can read/write Windows-formatted iPod's easily enough.

Or you could just transfer the file's over the network :)

3. biting-mammal thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about that, but don't own a Windows computer to format my iPod on. I only have my MacBook and iMac. As I don't own the Windows computer I'd like to get the files from, I can't install anything on it.

I also can't transfer the files over the network because, as I said, I don't own the computer and don't want to fool around with settings, etc. I don't think they'd be keen on me doing that!

Thanks for your suggestions though! Any other thoughts, peoples??? :)

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I would format it as FAT32 or MSDOS as it is called in disk utility. I have some bad things about formatting things as free space.

5. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

In Windows, Plug the iPod in, open My Computer, Right click on the iPod, and hit 'Format' and it'll format it as FAT32 for you - dont need to install anything. But yeah, Disk Utility could also format it if you wanted.

6. biting-mammal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx guys! I've made a note of all these suggestions and I'll try them out! I'm sure they'll work. Thanks for all the help! :apple: