Partitioning MBP query?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snerkler, Feb 20, 2012.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this has been asked before (I'm sure it has many times but I can't find it), but does partitioning your MBP to use windows cause any problems. When my MBP arrives I wasn't going to bother, and was just going to buy new software, but after looking what I have on my PC this could get quite costly. I've read about partitioning and no-one's made any reference to any problems (at least that I've read). However, when I discussed this with a "genius" in the Apple store he said it could cause problems and cause the MBP to run slow. What's the general verdict?

Cheers

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not if you do it properly.
    He's wrong. You have to remember than "Genius" is only their job title, and not a reflection of their knowledge, experience or expertise.

3. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Which is the 'proper' way of doing it, the only way I've seen how to do it is using the disk utility?
    I've read that partitioning wipes your hard drive, is this just the new partition or your whole drive including the mac side?

I know, hence the "genius" being in quotation marks ;)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac 101: Using Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp
    Using Boot Camp Assistant to Partition Your Mac’s Hard Drive

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Happy to help!

6. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

I just bought my first Mac Saturday, a MacBook Pro 13 inch. Also bought Windows 7 to put on it. All you have to do is run Bootcamp on the computer. It steps you right through the whole process. I did it yesterday and couldn't be any easier.