Partitioning my boot drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by big dainjerus, Jun 28, 2008.

1. big dainjerus macrumors regular

New mac pro 2.8 here. Just got from owc 4 new hard drives and 8 gigs of ram.

I will be using the WD 640 aaaks as my boot drive, along with 3 other samsung f1s. This is my first time doing it and I will take it step by step, so for now I am concerned with partitioning my boot drive. I have read instructions on how to do it, but I am looking for help from some seasoned vets as to how I should partition my boot drive to maximize everything.

I will be using this computer to record music with logic pro (I am using the apogee duet with keyboard and guitars), soundtracking, video editing with final cut, a lot of photoshop and aperture work, and then the usual web surfing and frolicking about macrumors.com. I will have thousands of photos and music files.

I have read about people partitioning their boot drive to the point where they have a partition just for the internet. Is this too much? Does it actually make a difference? Can anyone enlighten me on the theory of partitioning my boot drive? Are there certain things I must do to each individual partition?

And one more question, once I partition it is there no going back without purchasing software to do so? I really would like to just do this once, and do it in a way that will benefit the performance of the drive and computer. Knowing what I would like to above, what would be ok to store on my boot drive besides apps, if anything?

Should I dedicate a partition for scratch on my boot drive, if at all, or on a different drive? There are a lot of things that I have no yet been able to understand and will come to in the near future, so I hope someone can give me some good advice for the time being so I don't F this up now.

Thanks for your help.

2. fuzorsilverbolt macrumors member

partitioning

Partitioning your drive won't really give you a performance boost. But if you can use another drive as scratch then do that. Using another drive as scratch will give a perfomance increase.

3. big dainjerus thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I just loaded up my computer with ram and 4 new hds. What a piece of cake that was! Made me feel like a true member of the geek squad, but now I have to re install everything and we will see how that goes.

How big a partition should I make for scratch? Can I put it on the 4th drive which will serve as the back up, or should I put it on one of the other two drives one which will contain music and video projects, and the other photoshop projects, software/sample libraries, photos (lots) and music?

4. fuzorsilverbolt macrumors member

split them up

Split up the four drives into two separate raid volumes. Put the os on the first raid volume and the scratch and working files on the second