partitioning my drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tom Foolery, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

A couple months ago i decided i wanted xp on my MBP for gaming. So i decided to install it via bootcamp. later when i realized that it was so inconvenient to switch OS i decided to do away with bootcamp and go the parallels route. now i want to play games again but i can't do that in parallels. so again i want to set up boot camp.

My problem is i go into bootcamp assistant and I try to partition my drive and it says "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." then it tells me to backup my HD then format my drive as mac os (journaled), even though that's what i have now.

Is there anyway i can partition my drive without reformating it entirely. it is way to much work, back up, reformat, install tiger. upgrade to leopard, upgrade software, restore info, partition drive, install windows

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There are two solutions I know of.
    1. Use a commercial utility, such as iDefrag, to fix up your disk so Boot Camp can partition it. Note that, unless you have iDefrag already, this method is NOT free.
    2. Use an external disk together with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to create a bootable clone of your Mac. Boot from the clone, erase the problematic disk, and clone it back. Reboot from the original disk. This approach is not only free, but also fairly fast (not as fast as iDefrag, but FAR faster than backing up everything, reinstalling, and restoring).

3. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

with i defrag i have selected quick defrag, i'm not sure how to do a full defrag. but will this be enough to let me partition the disk

4. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I have the same issue. And I have seen this around quite a lot... Apple really needs to do something about this.