Partitioning my hdd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kknet, Jun 18, 2007.

1. kknet macrumors newbie

Hey you all!

I've been a PC-guru for a loads of years now, and I'm finally going for a Mac, White Hi-end Macbook with 2gb RAM to be exact. But I have a question;

From my Windowsbased PC I'm used to having multiple partitions, like 15 gb to my XP and programs, rest of the disk to all other files. Then if i want to re-install XP, I'll just format the small disk, and install XP, all my files intact. Is it smart to do a similar thing with Max osX? Or is it just much smarter than xp, and able to just delete the old OS files, and programs.

The reason I'm asking, is that I'm certain to buy Leopard at it's release, and just want do to it as smooth as possible, without loosing any files. (Know there is a update-option, but I'm also thinking generally, like you do need a system re-install from time to time)

Thanks for every wise answer =)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Personally I'd not bother. As well as upgrade options OSX offers the Archive & Install option. This does a more-or-less clean install having created an archive of the previous system. This keeps your user data intact so is perfect.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

An Archive and Install basically accomplishes the exact same thing without needing partitions. To wit: when you install Leopard with the Archive and Install option, it packs up the entire old system folder into a compressed disk image, and then installs Leopard "clean" on the hard drive, leaving your Users folder (and other stuff) right where it is. Then you boot into the new OS with all your settings and apps intact. Convenient, eh?

The only partitioning you'll need to do is with the Boot Camp setup utility if you want to have a Windows installation, but that's non-destructive and can be done without having to re-install OS X and whatnot. :)