Partitioning My Internal Drive... Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheSVD, Dec 25, 2009.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

hey all, and merry xmas :)
    i want to partition the hard drive in my macbook pro. I want to create a new partition, in whatever file system. At the minute, i have got to the stages of doing so in disk utility. I have selected the size of the new partition and was just about to press apply when i read that if you create a new partition on your internal drive that it was erase ALL the data on it to do so. is this true? cause i dont have enough space to back up my drive and i have so much data on here which i dont want to lose :(

Thanks everyone, a quick response would be good :D haha :)

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Tumbleweed666

I would start by getting enough space to back up your drive. Messing around partitioning an existing drive with all your data on it before doing that is plain crazy.
    And not having it backed up at all is crazy in the first place.
    Are you crazy twice?

Merry Xmas :)

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

i believe that when you partition a drive (after you have stuff on it) will erase EVERYTHING. I have just one partition on my main HD (just upgraded as well), but I have everything back up (that is important) on two drives.

You have to ask yourself if the info on your drive is worth $100? If it is, then I would buy an external and backup, or burn to a DL DVD at the least. I'll tell you from experience that losing priceless data sucks.

4. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

how important is it to you to partition your drive
    after you partition it you have to reinstall os x put back all your settings and put back all your data

and you should go get yourself a nice external drive during the after-holiday sales anyway

5. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD