Partitioning on 10.4.11

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zongo saiba, Nov 19, 2008.

1. zongo saiba macrumors newbie

zongo saiba

Hi Guys,

I am trying to create a partition on my internal HDD on 10.4.11. I have tried two ways.

Terminal way
    $ diskutil partitionDisk disk0s3 1 HFS+ rigantaHFS+ 15G
    - That returned an error ( i would say plausible) " couldn't unmount disk for zeroing" " couldn't unmount disk (-1000) on disk0"
    - i did try the same command line in single user mode but that did yield anything at all. I got the same error message.

Disk Utility (/applications/utilities/diskutility)
    - I basically cannot partition my internal HDD without erasing my the entire HDD

- So my question is :"how to create another partition on my HDD, without erasing the entire HDD?"

I am using a PPC with tiger 10.4.11

PS: the reason why I am not using the disk utility on the install DVD is that I have lost them. :(

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

When you bring up Disk Utility, you get a list of your drive's on the left? The top most one should have your actual drive itself, something like 111.8GB Fujitsu... Click on this, and then on the main window, there should be a tab that says partition?Only trying this on leopard, but i dont think this changed from Tiger.

On a personal note, I can't believe how much of 10.4 im forgetting.. :(

3. zongo saiba thread starter macrumors newbie

zongo saiba

I did exactly that. When I click in the HDD at the root I have the option to partition my HDD; but I do not have the option to actually create one extra partition. If I proceed with it, I will erase my entire HDD which is something I do not want to do.

4. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

only intel macs can be partitioned after the OS is put on it.

PPC Macs cannot do this without erasing hard drive.

One way around it is to buy an external firewire drive.

Use Hard Drive Clone program to make exact copy of all files on internal to external. Reformat and partition internal then use Hard Drive Clone Program to copy all files back to internal.

--Eric

5. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502