Partitioning on mac, HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macuser10234, Aug 12, 2012.

1. macuser10234 macrumors newbie

I tried to partition my mac with windows 8, I prepared the disk, then I tried to set up bootcamp, and it came up with that I had to only have one disk and no other partitions, so I found out that I had 3 disks from different operating systems, which now aren't used anymore and don't have anything on, I tried to look on forums on how to delete, or merge the disks. I tried to do use disk utility and find the partition tab, although it wasn't there, and then I don't want to waste money on iPartition, can anyone help me as I cant find a simple way to merge them, as all the others don't work, please help me.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

The Partition tab is only visible when the actual HDD is selected.
    [​IMG]

Btw, Boot Camp Assistant should be used to create the Boot Camp partition.

3. macuser10234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Thanks, I tried it although it came up with the reply MediaKit reports no such partition, what does this mean and how should i resolve it, thanks

4. simsaladimbamba

What application does report that? Can you make a screenshot and attach it to your next post?
    And what exact Mac and Mac OS X version do you have?

5. macuser10234, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

macuser10234 thread starter macrumors newbie

It comes down as a box from the disk utility menu, in a minute I will give you a screenshot, and I am using mac os x snow leopard on an iMac and it reports an error saying "MediaKit reports no such partition"

----------

I could find a screenshot on the internet though:
    http://blog.scottmroberts.com/__oneclick_uploads/2009/04/picture-2.png

although it says MediaKit reports no such partition

6. simsaladimbamba

Do you have access to an external HDD, an HDD you could use to clone your current OS (if needed due to existing data) onto?

7. macuser10234 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do but I don't have it on me at the moment, is there any reason why it doesn't report the partition is it in the format that I have it, also I booted into my snow leopard dvd and used disk utility there, and I tried to delete on of the drives, and it didn't report the same message but instead nothing happened when i clicked the minus button, although there was a small bar saying "unmounting disk" and "Finishing partition modifications" and "Partition Complete" but then the disk didn't disappear, I also have a Free space as another disk, and I tried to convert that to Mac Os Extended (Journaled) but it said "the chosen size is not valid for the chosen filesystem" it was 343.9 MB, how do i get rid of that? Thanks for helping me

8. macuser10234 thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't worry, while playing around with disk utility I erased one of the disks and clicked on Mac Extended, then somehow it erased it because it was a Mac Extended partition (sorry if this doesn't make sense, I didn't really understand what I did) then I got all my disk back and I was able to partition the disk, now I am hoping that the installation will work on my computer. Thanks for helping, it was much appreciated!