Partitioning Problems on Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bbloo, Dec 30, 2010.

1. bbloo macrumors newbie

I am trying to create a partition with Boot Camp and install Windows XP SP2. Whenever i try to create a partition, the kernel crashes and i need to restart my whole computer, boot up from the OSX CD and then "Repair Disk" to get the lost hard drive space back. I had partitioned my HD last week, but then removed it, but now when i try it, it always freezes the computer. is there any way to solve this problem without my data being lost?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Are you using Boot Camp Assistant or Disk Utility to create the partition?

B

3. bbloo thread starter macrumors newbie

Boot Camp Assistant. i have a Macbook OS 10.6.5 (Snow Leopard) with Intel, if that helps.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I had this exact problem on my MacBook. I downloaded and installed iDefrag. I basically had files all over the place which were stopping me from creating a partition.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Try creating the partition in Disk Utility before you try iDefrag. It'll give you a better idea of where in the process things are going wrong. Usually if fragmentation is the problem you would get an error message before you try partitioning.

First resize the HFS+ partition to make room for the Boot Camp partition by dragging the lower corner up.

Then create a new MS-DOS (FAT) partition in the new empty space.

B

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Bootcamp assistant doesnt do anything special or more than what Disk Utility or Terminal can do. All it does is make a partition, it can be of any format because once you go to install Windows you can format it anyway...

1. Go into disk utility, click the main drive you want NOT THE VOLUME.
    2. Click on the Partition tab
    3. Click on the Plus (+) sign at the bottom
    4. Resize and rename the partition to your liking. (FORMAT DOES NOT MATTER)
    5. Put Windows OS cd in and reboot holding C or OPTION and choose the DVD.
    6. Format the partition you made
    7. Install Windows

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Still best to use FAT32 (MS-DOS FAT) and label it "BOOTCAMP" so Windows can tell that partition belongs to it and you can identify it yourself more easily.

B

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

The format doesnt mean anything, as long as you can figure out which partition it is you made for Windows. Click it and Windows will say cant be installed, click Format and then go through with installing.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which is exactly the point of using a format Windows understands and a label that is clear. I've seen plenty of confused folk in the forum over time that I don't leave anything to chance.

B

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Not trying to start anything but most of the people that get confused about which partition probably dont know which format is Mac/Windows anyway :) haha

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Trust me, we get plenty of folks here just like that.

Not that bbloo is one of them.

B