Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huerz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
I am attempting to sort my 2011 MBP for resale. Before I reformatted my hard drive I used boot camp assistant to remove my bootcamp partition. It completed with an error message, deleted windows but an invisible partition remained.

When I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled yosemite, i was left with a partition listed as free space (as per imagine).

I cannot partition the space through disk utility (by clicking the + and then 'apply'). I does nothing.

Filevault is not running.

Any suggestions on how I can remove this? I would like to merge the 'lost' 100 gig with the remainder of my 400 gig hard drive.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 9.35.28 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-20 at 9.35.28 pm.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 83

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think you need to delete the logical volume titled "Macintosh HD". It has to be done from Terminal. Disk Utility can't do this (yet). This thread might help: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740900/ Check out post #30 and perhaps search the internet for additional help if you need it. I think you'll need to be booted from a disk other than the one you want to partition. If you don't have another disk, perhaps you can boot from Internet Recovery and do it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That volume is setup as a core storage volume and cannot be resized.

Do a command-r boot to recovery and from the Utilities menu start Terminal. Then enter the line below just like I have it including the quotes. That will remove the volume and leave a blank drive.

Code:
diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"

Now quit Terminal and start Disk util the erase the volume to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click reinstall OS.

This will of course wipe any data on the drive.

Huerz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
Thank you for the replies everyone, the help is much appreciated. I'll run through the suggestions and report back.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I had this problem a few months ago. The only solution that worked for me was to erase my whole SSD and then restore from a backup.

Huerz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
That volume is setup as a core storage volume and cannot be resized.

Do a command-r boot to recovery and from the Utilities menu start Terminal. Then enter the line below just like I have it including the quotes. That will remove the volume and leave a blank drive.

Code:
diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"

Now quit Terminal and start Disk util the erase the volume to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Util and click reinstall OS.

This will of course wipe any data on the drive.

Thanks for the comment. I followed your instructions but unfortunately I didn't succeed. I've attached the end report from the terminal command as well as an image of the disk utiling screen following the erasure. I'm just trying the erase free space option now and then will attempt again to reinstall OS X. Any further suggestions or have I perhaps followed the instructions incorrectly?

Apologies for the poor quality images

Cheers,
Huerz

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 11128084_10153042020653283_2086841685_n.jpg
    11128084_10153042020653283_2086841685_n.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the comment. I followed your instructions but unfortunately I didn't succeed. I've attached the end report from the terminal command as well as an image of the disk utiling screen following the erasure. I'm just trying the erase free space option now and then will attempt again to reinstall OS X. Any further suggestions or have I perhaps followed the instructions incorrectly?

Apologies for the poor quality images

Cheers,
Huerz

I don't see anything you attached from Terminal, but from the looks of Disk Util there you successfully got rid of the core storage volume and you should be able to format. Are you able to format by clicking the erase button there?

Huerz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
I don't see anything you attached from Terminal, but from the looks of Disk Util there you successfully got rid of the core storage volume and you should be able to format. Are you able to format by clicking the erase button there?

Sorry for the late response. My second image appears to have uploaded now (I did so as an edit).

When I attempt to erase the drive labelled 'toshiba', I receive the "couldn't unmount disk" message. When I erase the 'untitled' partition, it completes the erase but does nothing, leaving me with the same 400gig partition (pictures attached).

Attachments

• IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 58

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It looks like you have the drive itself selected to erase instead of just the untitled volume. Drop down there one on the list and select untitled then try to erase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.