Partitioning Question

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Technologx, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Technologx macrumors member

Technologx

How can I merge the greyed square to the Yosemite partition to make it one partition instead of 2?

[​IMG]

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

How did you end up with half of the space designated as "free space"?

If you change the format of that free space partition to MacOS Extended (then click the Apply button, and wait for the process to complete), can you then delete it?
    If that doesn't get what you want (access to the whole space for your Yosemite partition), then your best choice will be to backup the Yosemite partition, then erase the drive, and restore from your backup.

3. Technologx thread starter macrumors member

Technologx

That blank space had macOS Sierra installed on it and I clicked on it and hit the minus button to remove it. With your idea I tried it and I still ended up with that free space.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You have to select "MacOS extended" from the Format dropdown menu, name the partition if you like, then click the Apply button.
    When that completes, that space will be formatted, and named with the name you chose (or Untitled if you didn't change the name)
    Now, click the restore tab. Drag the Yosemite partition (in the left side list) to the Source line.
    Drag the partition that you just created to the Destination line.
    Click Apply. Wait for the restore to complete.
    Reboot, choosing the first partition as your new boot default. (You may like to rename the second partition (the old one!) so you don't get confused by which boot partition to choose.
    When you get booted to the restored partition (which will now be the first partition!), then you SHOULD be able to remove the second partition, and then drag the main partition to the bottom of the partition window, which is the resize to give your main partition access to all of the available space.
    Don't forget to click the Apply button to finish the partition change.

5. Technologx thread starter macrumors member

Technologx