Partitioning Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by darbyclash34, Nov 27, 2007.

1. darbyclash34 macrumors regular

So, I decided that I gave my Tiger partition too much space, and would like to add some of its free space to my Leopard partition. Problem is, I can resize Macintosh HD2 which is the tiger disk, and make it smaller, but I can't seem to add the size back into Macintosh HD which is my leopard disk. Any help? Thanks!

2. billmister macrumors 6502

Bump...

I would also like to know this. I have a external hard drive. 2 partitions. 1)storage 2)Time machine. I gave my storage a little to much. I went to disk utility and i could shrink my storage, BUT will time machine partition fill in the rermaining or not?

3. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

I want to know this also.

I now have a gigabyte of free space that I can't seem to be able to add to either of my partitions. (I did manage to reduce it down to ONLY one gigabyte.)

Any help, anyone?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if anyones game to try live partition resizing in leopard's disk utility you could use this (i havent tried it yet). if it works you can resize partitions without reformatting. DO NOT do this with tiger's disk utility as it will reformat your disk.

the other option is ipartition http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php which can resize partitions with out reformatting like leopard's disk utility. note: you have to be booted into a different disk than the one you want to work on. so if you want to resize partitions on you main hard drive you have to make a boot disk (see coriolis homepage) or boot into a cloned system on an external hard drive or another hard drive.

5. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

That's what I did do and it worked fine. The problem arose when I wanted to get rid of a partition. It won't let me resize either of my other two into all of the free space left behind. There remains just over a gigabyte of free space.

Although this is in no way hindering any sort of function, it's irritating me enough that I think I might format and reinstall leopard (and restore with time machine). Partly, I just want to see how good the time machine restore function is. I backed up the disk image of my windows partition too, but if that doesn't restore, oh well. I've only really booted windows to configure it.

6. darbyclash34 thread starter macrumors regular

The problem with Leopards live disk partitioning, which works fine by the way, not problems, is that say I have Macintosh HD as my leopard partition, and my tiger partition is HD 2. If I take away free space from HD2, the free space follows that second partition, so there is no way to add it to HD, at least not that I can see. I finally just reformatted the sucker and did it right the first time.

7. archi penko macrumors member

archi penko

so there's really no fix then to this than a backup, repartition & restore?

this has happened to me as well... i'd really rather not pay $50 for iPartition

8. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

You don't need to pay, Disk Utility does it.