partitioning the HD ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aerove, Sep 4, 2007.

1. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

hey !! so i'll be layin my hands on my frst mac in a week!! so i m a computer science student so i'll be doin a lot of coding and stuff, so wanted to know how do i divide the HD into 3 parts .. one for osx ( i ll give it much more space than windhows) one for xp and the other 3rd part will be for dat.. i guess it might be posted earlier .. but can u giv a detailed procedure as i've nevr used a mac before !! :)

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

STUFF YOU NEED:
    Your Mac comes with OS install / restore disks. Find it. This is the Install DVD.

STEPS:
    Power on your computer, you'll be greeted with a short intro video.

Put the Install DVD in.

Press the two keys simultaneously: COMMAND-Q (Command key, and letter Q key) to bring up a dialog to shut down your computer. You may need to go through a screen or two until you are allow to do this. Shut down your computer.

Turn on your computer while holding the OPTION key. Keep holding option key until you see a start up disk selection, and select the circular disk.

After you select the language, go to the menu on the top. Disk Utility is under one of the menus. Select disk utility, and partition your drives.

Partition this way will erase your data. After you partition, reinstall OS X using disk.

Yes there are third party software, but this is free.

Some info on apple web site:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh14.html

You don't really need to partition a data drive, unless you do a lot of data downloading, erasing, moving. I would keep the OSX partition as big as possible.

3. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

thanks a lot !! wooo.. appears to be a big process. .. but...i was plannin on saavin data frm both the oses in the data partition..

4. aerove thread starter macrumors 6502

aerove

hey guys.. is there any way to create a data partition via bootcamp?? if not is there any way other than the one mentioned above?? :apple:

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I don't know if there's another way, or a way via bootcamp. No doubt there is 3rd party software for Macs that will do this for you.

Is the procedure described above not working? Disk Utility is pretty simple to use, and should do the trick easily.