Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OMGteh.nterweb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
I originally had a dual boot system on my PPC Mac Mini. I'd now like to have a single boot system with only OSX. I deleted the other system, and it's partitions, but now I have free space at the end of the drive. How can i get that free space back on my first partition?

I had originally planned to back my entire HD onto an external USB drive, repartition, and restore. I booted with my Install DVD, went to Disk Utility, and found that I couldn't mount the USB disk, even though it was detected. Would I be able to mount the disk if it were not in Fat32 format? Is there an easier way to do this?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
I originally had a dual boot system on my PPC Mac Mini. I'd now like to have a single boot system with only OSX. I deleted the other system, and it's partitions, but now I have free space at the end of the drive. How can i get that free space back on my first partition?

I had originally planned to back my entire HD onto an external USB drive, repartition, and restore. I booted with my Install DVD, went to Disk Utility, and found that I couldn't mount the USB disk, even though it was detected. Would I be able to mount the disk if it were not in Fat32 format? Is there an easier way to do this?

why not just use diskutil in os x. fat32 shouldn't have a problem mounting in os x. however, I believe only fireware drives will work when you boot to a cd-rom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.