Partitioning the Time Capsule hard drive???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dmac1050, Jul 8, 2008.

1. dmac1050 macrumors newbie

Before I purchased my 1TB time capsule I went in to the apple store and asked a few questions. Mainly I wanted to know if I could store all of my iTunes media on it as well as back up my MBP. The guy at the store tracked asked around and showed me a way in disk utility to partition the drive. I was not really paying attention to what he was doing but he was telling me I could make the two parts of the disk whatever sizes I wanted.

Fast forward to a week later when I actually go in to pick up the time capsule. I have now researched it and determined that you can not partition the drive. I can not find the guy that I spoke too before nor can I remember his name.

So, today I am messing around with disk utility and trying to recreate what he showed me and I found this....

Does this mean that it can be partitioned. I was not willing to try it out as I am new to mac and do not want to mess anything up.

Attached Files:

2. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

why do you want to partition the HD? Time Machine keeps the backups in a folder called "backups.backudb" which is separate from your other files.

3. dmac1050 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't really need to. When I first bought it I wanted to use half for backups and half for shared external hard drive.

4. jgunn macrumors regular

You can partition it. You use disk utility and set aside a certain amount for your files. This way the TC backup won't use all the space ont he drive for backups. I have about 200g set aside for movies, music etc. The rest for backups.

"use Disk Utility to create a disk image of, say, 300GB on the Time Capsule's drive. Then mount that disk image on your desktop. You'll have full read/write access to the 300GB within that disk image and Time Machine will respect that space; it'll simply use the rest for backup.
    This will work quite well and obviates the need for partitioning the Time Capsule.
    The one caveat is that the separate disk image wont be available to Windows machines (can't mount Apple .DMG disk images)."

This thread explains it better,

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=446167