Partitioning Time Capsule HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Barney63, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I have just got a 2TB 2nd Gen Time Capsule and upgraded the HD to 3TB. That has gone flawlessly.
    I now want to partition this drive to have half for my Time Machine backups and the other half to store a coy of my music and video library (backed up elsewhere).
    How do I create the partitions?
    I am using Mavericks 10.9.2

Barney

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need to do this via the Airport Utility and not the Disk Utility.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can't partition the drive once it is installed inside the TC. Airport Utility is used to manage the TC drive, and all that allows is a full erase... no partitioning.

You are going to need to crack open the TC again and remove the drive then attach it to your Mac in a USB enclosure, then use Disk Utility to make the two partitions... then put it back inside the TC.

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Most of us don't partition the internal Time Capsule drive. We connect a USB drive to the TC for file sharing. 1.5 or 2TB drives are less than $100 now days. Some use the external for backups and internal for file sharing as data transfers seem to be faster to/from the internal.

5. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I removed the drive again and partitioned it as a 1TB and a 2TB.
    When I put it back in, AirPort Utility reported an error (as I would expect with it being a foreign format). So I did the erase disk and it has formatted it as one 3TB again.
    What did I do wrong?

Barney

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The subject comes up here often, but I don't think you can partition the internal TC drive.

7. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I looked pretty diligently into partitioning a Time Capsule quite awhile ago (maybe a year or two), and what I remember is I didn't find any postings indicating success by anyone. I was left with the impression (that I still hold) that it can't be done by any method (and still work reliably with Time Machine). Now, maybe someone here can prove me wrong, but...

If you don't want to go with an external USB drive plugged into the Time Capsule, I recommend just go ahead and putting your music and video library on the TC internal drive (assuming you've got them reliably backed up elsewhere). Time Machine will not overwrite or delete them from the TC drive.

The only trouble you might run into is having TM "fill" the remaining disk space with backups, and then wanting to add "significant" amount of files to your libraries -- perhaps there won't be room to add them.

I now believe this really isn't a problem for most files, because when TM needs more space for a backup it clears out quite a bit of room. Thus there's always, or almost always, at least a few GB of space. Perhaps this wouldn't be enough for a new video, though... I'm not sure.

8. Barney63, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I found this old thread :-
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1300777
    and in-particularly this post by rufftackle
    I've followed that and can confirm it works.
    Happy Chappy :D

Barney

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Great find! Too late for me though. I decided to put*all my media files to an external connected to Mac mini and have Time Capsule just back up those folders. So now I have all the medias AND back up. So far so good.

10. ColdCase macrumors 68030

So when your TimeMachine backup reaches the assigned size, any issues?

11. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I have assigned 1TB to the Time Machine Backup partition and 2TB for my media.
    Time Machine only sees the 1TB partition and when that gets full it will just delete older backups as per usual.

Barney

12. ColdCase macrumors 68030

So you think the same type of thing will work for multiple users, ending up with say 4 partitions, three of which being TimeMachine's for three different Macs... I may have to try that sometime.

13. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

From what I've read that seems feasible.

Barney

14. LanceMahe macrumors newbie

partitioning time capsule

Barney63: I found this old thread :-
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1300777
    and in-particularly this post by rufftackle

I've tried but it doesn't appear on the desktop nor in the disk utility, hence no partitioning.
    Could anyone advise please?

15. LanceMahe macrumors newbie

partitioning time capsule

Barney63's answer doesn't seem right!!