Partitioning to install Ubuntu 11.04

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prmccarron, Aug 10, 2011.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

Trying to install Ubuntu on a partition because my virtual machines got messed up when I upgraded to Lion and I don't feel like messing around with 'em :p. I don't want to use boot camp because I want a partition smaller than 20 GB (which is the minimum) so I decided to use Disk Utility. I understand basically how to partition but haven't in a while and can't quite remember some stuff. What format should the partition be? Also, how do I install the iso to the partition when it's done? Any help would be great, thanks.

2. shifuimam macrumors newbie

The newest Ubuntu installer attempts to repartition without destroying the existing partition. You could TRY doing this.

Alternatively, use your OS X installer DVD's Disk Utility to simply repartition the drive however you want - I'd recommend using at least 30GB for OS X, then a minimum of 15GB for Ubuntu (especially if you install a lot of applications and such), with a partition at the end for data and whatnot.

If you don't plan on using Ubuntu very much, though, I'd recommend sticking with using a virtual machine instead of a native installation.

What is "messed up" with your VMs?

3. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

Do your partitioning in Diskutility like ubuntu recommends and make sure that you name it something that you will recognize. Ubuntu's installer will reformat that partition anyways so don't worry about it.

You don't exactly "install" an iso into a partition like you do with a VM. You burn that iso to a disk and then boot into that disk, either holding option and selecting the disc during startup, or holding "c" during startup. Then you proceed with your install as you would normally. Ubuntu's is a guided process so it's pretty easy. Make sure you install into the right partition and do a backup beforehand anyways, just in case.