Partitioning Windows 7 on a two year old Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hckia, Sep 2, 2010.

1. hckia macrumors newbie

Is this advisable? I have everything important backed up just in case, but I thought I might as well ask before I try it in two weeks. Let me know what troubles I may run into so I can prepare for the worst (besides losing everything on my hard drive).

I purchased my Macbook in November of 2008 and I have kept in excellent condition.

Thanks guys!

-Macnewb

2. celticpride678

3. Covart Guest

Why would there be any issues? A hard drive is a hard drive, regardless if it's in a 2 year old Macbook or brand new MBP. As long as you have the space and neccesary hardware to support the Windows you're installing, you'll be fine.

4. hckia thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay just wanted to make sure :). I was also considering updating my macbooks OS to OS X 10.6 leopard (since i need an OC cd to partition my macbook through boot camp? am I wrong about this?), any reason I shouldn't do this?

Thanks again!

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes you are wrong - what version of OSX are you running ?

You use Bootcamp assistant to create the partition - it should be in your Applications/Utilities folder.

You will need the Snow Leopard disc after you have installed Win 7 - for the drivers (nothing else)

6. hckia thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, but if I don't have the disc wouldn't do any harm to just upgrade so I have a disc, right?

As for what OSX i'm running...

Mac OS X 10.5.8

7. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Yea I'd update to 10.6. Its cheap (30$) and should be painless.

8. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Yeah upgrade it to snow leo. That way you don't have to be hunting for drivers in windows. (Use the snow leo dvd to install them)