Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opoppe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2004
Hi.
I want to partition my Powerbook HD. Is there any way to copy the entire disk, with OS, applications, documents etc. to an external harddrive (USB), partition the HD in the Powerbook, and copy the OS, applications and everything back? I would be great with some advice on this!

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
opoppe said:
Hi.
I want to partition my Powerbook HD. Is there any way to copy the entire disk, with OS, applications, documents etc. to an external harddrive (USB), partition the HD in the Powerbook, and copy the OS, applications and everything back? I would be great with some advice on this!
Use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to backup your info to another drive and then you can use Disk Utility to partition your HD, then you can copy your files back over. Also you could use iPartition which will supposedly allow you to partition your drive without erasing any files (makes me nervous though, and you have to pay for it). Hope this helps

**EDIT**
Both SD and CCC allow you to clone your HD so yes you keep everything including the OS, applications etc., sorry for the loose "file" term

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.