Partitions and popup windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cool11, Jul 19, 2013.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I have made some partitions in a usb flash disk, using Disk utility.
    Some partitions contain bootable content. Osx system, Drive Genius utilities and so on.
    Every time I attach it to my mac, pop up windows appear on my screen, like when I insert a bootable dvd on my mac.
    I find it very annoying.
    I don't want any interruption to my current windows, not any popup windows alerting me of the new disk connected.
    If I can see it in finder, as it is, then it is ok for me. Nothing more.

How can I impose 'silence' and no pop ups, from these partitions, when I attach a usb flash disk? Is there any solution or setting under osx, or not?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is nothing on a default formatted HFS+ drive (USB or otherwise) that would cause a popup like that when attached. It must be part of one of the utilities you have installed on the USB key.

3. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Something like the 'autorun' file in windows?
    Is there something I should look for, in these 'annoying' partitions?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, but the thing is, OS X does not allow that operation. It would need to be something on your Mac perhaps related to one of those apps that runs.

For example, the cloning app Carbon Copy Cloner can be configured to auto run a backup when a specific USB key or drive is connected.

What exactly does the popup say?

5. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Drive genius partition pops up for sure (I cant remember others this moment, I had this 'problem' for years).

It is like when you open a dmg, and pops up the window with the contents(the .app file, readme files, txts etc).