Partitions for OS X and User Data

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alembic, Jan 18, 2008.

1. alembic macrumors regular

I'm going to be migrating to Leopard soon. Currently my Tiger installation is on a smaller partition which holds the OS and Apple applications. All user directories and their data as well as all third party apps reside on another much larger partition, the idea being the former partition grows modestly from updates and the latter holds files and applications that change far more often. I use Super Duper to clone the OS partition and ChronoSync to back up the other partition. This has worked well for me.

I'm wondering if anyone has a similar setup on Leopard? Or would this be unnecessary (or even a hassle) with Leopard?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It should be easier to set up with Leopard. Umm, just out of interest, why do you make a clone of the OS?

3. alembic thread starter macrumors regular

mad jew, I clone the OS partition for backup. Super Duper has a differential clone option in which only files that have been changed/added/deleted are updated. After the first clone operation, it's really fast, especially since my OS partition contains no user data and Super Duper also ignores extraneous cache and log(?) files.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair enough. I don't usually bother backing up the system files but each to their own. :)