Partitions messed up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by noobinator, Aug 16, 2015.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I have a 2015 MacBook and need some help fixing the partitions. Here's the current partitions:

El Capitan - Functioning
    Macintosh HD - This partition was erased (had Yosemite). And is now showing as a big blob of nothing
    Untitled - This partition is a big blog of nothing that I created in an attempt to fix my problems

I created El Capitan to run the betas and created the untitled on accident trying to fix things. Macintosh HD is the original partition that Yosemite was installed on but is now just HD space with nothing on it.

I want to get back to 1 partition. I am trying to delete the Untitled partition by clicking the Minus (-) but it gives me an error. "Media Kit reports not enough space on device for requested operation".

How do I delete this untitled partition and how do I get back to one partition? The Macintosh HD partition does not have a minus present (probably since it's the main partition?).

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Can you reboot to the recovery partition, open Disk Utility, and remove them that way?

If not, the following way will work, but takes more time:
    1. Boot from an external drive.
    If you don't have an external drive which is bootable, create one (I suggest using CarbonCopyCloner, which is free to download and use in fully-functional mode for 30 days).
    For example, you could use CCC to clone the contents of the El Capitan partition to another drive. This will get you "externally bootable".

2. Boot from the external drive by doing this:
    Restart, and immediately hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN until the startup manager appears. Now select the external drive and hit return.

3. Once you're booted from the external drive, re-initialize the internal drive with Disk Utility. Choose GUID, HFS+, 1 partition.

4. Now you must make a choice. You can either "RE-clone" the contents of the cloned backup drive BACK TO the single partition, or you can begin a fresh installation of the OS of your choice.

3. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks! Booting into recovery allowed me to delete the untitled. I'm reinstalling OS X on the main partition now.