Partitions & scratch disk

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kenglade, Apr 5, 2010.

1. kenglade macrumors 6502

Dec 20, 2008
    If this is the wrong forum, my apologies but it's the closest I could find.

I'm a serious photographer and do my post processing in Capture NX2 (2.2.4). Sometimes, especially when saving files, it drags on interminably.

I have read that one way to speed up NX2 is to create a scratch disk. I'm currently upgrading my HD on my iMac G5 (Leopard) to a 1TB HD. Would it be wise (and efficient) to create a partition on the new HD and use it as a scratch disk?

I understand you can't use the boot drive as a scratch disk, but if I partition will I be able toname the new partition something other than Macintosh HD, thus permitting use of a scratch disk?
  2. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    That might be possible, but it is best to use another physical HDD as a scratch disk, for instance a FW800 HDD would be quite good for this purpose, if your iMac has FW800.
  3. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 20, 2008
    Good idea. I don't have FW but I can use the HD I'm taking out of my Mac once I format it and get an enclosure. Will a scratch disk work with a USB connection?
  4. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    The only time you'll see a performance benefit of a scratch disk on a different partition is when you use a different physical disk. That is, if you only use a logical partition for a scratch disk, you're not gaining anything.
  5. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 20, 2008
    Great. That answers my question. Thanks. Is there any benefit to partitioning then?
  6. andyone macrumors member

Jan 21, 2008
    A file system works best if it has a lot of free disk space to work with. By dividing your disk into partitions you limit this space. There's nothing to gain by partitioning, so I wouldn't do it.
  7. kenglade thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 20, 2008
    Thanks. I defer to your expertise.