Partitions?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by HappyVirus, Aug 28, 2008.

1. HappyVirus macrumors member

Hi people! I'm new to this MacWorld, and I came along a few questions.

I recently purchased a MBP (got this baby yesterday ^^) and I wanted to use the dual boot, as some of my programs didn't have OSX support (such a shame...)

I saved/printed the "how-to-guide" for the Bootcamp, since it was recommended.

When I came across the partitioning, thats where I came up with these questions.

1. Do I have to have some kind of "minimum" size for the partition?
    - I only need small space for the "window" side, as I only need to run a few applications, so I don't need a HUGE space

2. Any other things I should worry about? I know there are some "virtual" window program, but after reading the pro/con for those, I figured the slower running windows wouldn't be worth it, as I will be running two totally separate/different kind of programs between OSX and vista ultimate.

3. Does the Windows support the "multi-tap" for the touchpad?

Thanks!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

1. the minimum is 5 GB but i would recommend 10 GB or more as a Windows XP install uses up to 3 GB and you want some space for virtual memory. i would imagine Vista would take up even more.

2. youve answered your own question.

3. it supports two-finger scroll and two-finger right click but not horizontal scroll on the trackpad or Mighty Mouse.

3. HappyVirus thread starter macrumors member

Well the virtual/dualboot thing was just one of the things I knew ^^ I was wondering if there are "other" things in general.. haha thanks tho! I'm going to be installing vista 32bit Ultimate, as I can't find the 64bit install CD and I don't want to go through all the boxes...(I just moved)

I'm guessing about 20-30gb partition should be MORE than enough...

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

If you are installing Vista, it takes up much more space then Windows XP (about 15GB per Microsoft). So you will likely want at least 30GB.