Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

discocop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Can any of you guys help?

I was using Lion with my HD split into two partitions. When I upgraded to Mountain Lion my imac is only seeing one part of the partition.

Any ideas why that is and more importantly, how do I go about getting the second partition back?

Any help is appreciated.

Disco

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
What does disk utility report? If it's only seeing one, and it's showing the full capacity of the drive, then it's likely the other partition has been deleted.

Another way to check is to boot whilst holding down the OPTION key...You should see all available partitions from the screen that appears..

discocop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
It is showing both drives which I had named MAC1 and MAC2.

I had split the drives and MAC1 is showing with the partition size etc. MAC 2 is greyed out; gives me the sizes etc but I can do anything with it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It is showing both drives which I had named MAC1 and MAC2.

I had split the drives and MAC1 is showing with the partition size etc. MAC 2 is greyed out; gives me the sizes etc but I can do anything with it.

Can you run first aid from disk utility on it at all? If you can, try that first. It's also possible that the permissions have been messed up, so if you can run a repair that's worth a try too. It sounds like corruption. A higher end utility you could try, but take extra care with is Onyx...It can sometimes fix issues DU can't, but read the instructions carefully....It's powerful and can cause issues if used incorrectly:

http://mac.majorgeeks.com/files/details/onyx_for_mountain_lion.html

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
As per Macman, try to repair the partition (Verify Disk / Repair Disk , not repair permissions) and then mount it in Disk Utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.