Parts from Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Silvia96, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Silvia96 macrumors member

On a recent trip to the Apple Store, a customer in front of me was talking about throwing away her damaged Macbook Pro (about 1.5 years old), so I suggested she just give it to me! She was so happy to have it off her hands, and I walked away with a parts computer! My question is, what I can I use from it in my 13" Core Duo Macbook? The cd drive? logic board/processor? Anything?

She gave away the battery to another customer, the screen is broken, and it has a new keyboard. Anything I can salvage from it or should I just take it apart and part it out? Thanks for the info, this is a great site!

2. Silvia96 thread starter macrumors member

From what I've been able to gather from it, its a 2.6 GHz, with 4 gigs of ram. Any ideas?

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't think there is anything, except the HDD, that you can use.

4. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

If you have a core duo macbook, you may went to see your options for selling it and fixing the macbook pro. I assume that it is a 2.6ghz core 2 duo, and even if not, the ram alone would be quite a boost.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Probably nothing but HDD like someone already posted. If you have no intention of fixing it up, like I do with all old tech I don't plan on using, I take it apart and familiarize myself with the hardware (that's just my inner nerd).

6. Silvia96 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies! I've already taken apart the casing to get to the internals, unfortunately she took the hard drive with her. Maybe i'll be able to find a good use for the iSight and some other goodies. If anybody has any other ideas, let me know!

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You might be able to use the iSight, as it is a higher resolution one than what is in your MB, IIRC.

8. Silvia96 thread starter macrumors member

Well, this morning I swapped out my Airport card for the Pro's N-capable card, and swapped out my combo drive with the Pro's Superdrive. I'm surprised nobody suggested these parts! I found them eventually after a long google search. I'm happy with my free upgrades!