Parts from OWC and Customer Service?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marc11, Jan 28, 2012.

1. marc11 macrumors 68000

Anyone have issues with OWC? More importantly customer service? A while ago, along with a bunch of other things, (Optibay, SSD, Memory, etc) I purchased the express HDD enclosure from them. Cheap enough part, and I thought I good use for my replaced HDD. The site clearly says the enclosure will will sleep the drive when not in use.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/USB2/OWC_Express

Well, mine never sleeps. So I wrote support to ask about it. I get a simple 6 word reply "The enclosure will not sleep the drive"

Thats it. No sorry about the mistake, no offer to take it back and credit me toward the purchase of a better enclosure that will sleep the drive, no, nothing. So I write them asking why the site for the enclsoure clearly states it will sleep the drive? Over a week and no reply from them.

Sort of pisses me off that they lie/made an error on the website, provide a curt reply and then ignore my follow up. I was not expecting much, but at least fix the website and offer to take mine back and credit me, that is not unreasonable to expect is it?

Is this they type of service OWC is known for?

Future buyers be warned I guess.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As with any company who is successful enough to stay in business over 20 years and serve millions of customers as OWC has, they're certainly had some customers who didn't have a positive experience. However, they have a stellar reputation in the Mac community. They are known for great products and service.
    Actually, it says:
    The question to ask is have you made certain the disk isn't in use?
    Why don't you call them? I'm sure you can explain your situation and find someone who will give you a reasonable solution or at least a reasonable answer.

3. marc11 thread starter macrumors 68000

My computer is sleeping. All three of my WD drives go into stand by mode. The owc enclosure is the only one that keeps spinning.

I am in Japan now, calling them is a bit if a PITA due to time differences and my schedule but I can try.

But should I have too? Shouldn't the original reply from them been kind and factual? That is the part that gets me, the website is wrong as per the reply from the rep and the rep was curt and short no remedy offered.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree the reply should have been better, and that it's an inconvenience for you to have to call them, but that's the best approach at this point. They also have live chat available 24/7, if that works better for you. It's possible, and more likely, that the website information is accurate and the reply you received was incorrect. I believe your drive should spin down if it's inactive. There may be a defect in your particular drive, which should be covered by warranty.

5. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

It always makes it worse being in another time zone dealing with customer support. I'm sure they are willing and want to help you. Just be careful how you speak to them, remember, it's not the guy on the phones fault.

6. marc11 thread starter macrumors 68000

Appreciate the feedback guys. Certainly not trying to be a jerk toward them; I'll give em a chance to make it right.