Parts Shortage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwhelan, Mar 30, 2011.

1. kwhelan macrumors newbie

Having been IT person all my life, I thought I would expand my horizons and get a mac just because it would be a useful skillset to have. I currently am a Windows network/programmer/db person in my current job and in past jobs have done some extensive things in linux/unix.

My company bought me a new Macbook Pro about 6 weeks ago. It is the 15" with the non glare monitor on it.

I started having problems with it soon after I got it. It started out with the battery giving me an X and if I pulled the power cord it would die. If I left the X on overnight and some point it would start charging and It would be okay for a day or two. This went on for a couple of weeks, saw some old notes about it in forums on older models. I tried resetting the SMC and it did nothing.

I called Apple and they said I had to drop it off, I finally took it in, they said it would be 3-5 days before they could work on it. I got it in line and took it home thinking I would still be able to use it. Well that night, laptop went black, won't turn on basically a brick. I took it back in, he said OH, well we can depot it overnight and it will be back in 2 days. Why didn't you tell me that in the first place. Why tell me 3-5 days before you could look at it.

Dropped it off on Monday and was assured it would be back on Wed or Thursday from the repair depot. I am now told 3 to 5 additional days due to part shortages due to the earthquake.

I have two questions. Why didn't they tell me initially that I could do a depot repair. Both the Applecare number AND the local person told me the same thing.

And second question I am just wondering if the earthquake is an excuse or if others are experiencing the same thing I am. I don't see any articles anywhere in my searches indicating that there is a parts shortage anywhere.

Thx.

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I saw one yesterday on 9to5mac that stated that the batteries may be in short supply for the iPod nanos. The Li-Ion polymer supplier in Japan has to stop production due to the tragedy. Not sure if this is rolling over to other products as well.

3. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Perhaps they didn't know it was available? Surely, that was misguided advice, but difficult to know why they told you that... your guess is as good as anyone's.