Party Pooper - New iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scallopdelion, Jul 27, 2010.

  1. scallopdelion macrumors newbie

    Jun 18, 2010
    Unlike many of you today, I am upset by the new releases.

    I caved after months of waiting, and bought the 27-inch i7 Core iMac twelve days ago. Now there's a new iMac.

    I need some advice-
    I spoke with the Apple store, and they assured me there would be no restocking fee if I wanted to upgrade my computer as long as I get it there in the next two days.

    I honestly don't know if it's worth carrying that from Brooklyn back into Manhattan. I'm not bringing a 27" on the subway, and the cab fares alone would be 50 bucks or so.

    Do you think Apple would refund me a percentage of the purchase instead? I'm sure they would have to sell this iMac as a refurb, but instead of changing hands for such a minor upgrade, am I eligible for a refund of sorts?

    What do you all think I should do? Bring back my computer for the upgrade or see if I can get a partial refund?

  2. sh00t4par macrumors newbie

    Feb 24, 2010
    They won't refund you anything. I would be happy that they will let you take it back with no restocking fee. To answer your question I would take it back for the new version. I have to ask why did you buy a new iMac with all the rumors and signs (low inventory at stores) pointing to a new release at any time? I think any little bit of research before you made the purchase would have clued you in on it.
  3. Ravich macrumors 6502a

    Oct 20, 2009
    Portland, OR
    The processor bump is pretty minimal. 2.8 to 2.93, right? 5%?

    Same RAM options and configuration, right?

    Option for an additional SSD next to your HDD. Do you want to pay 750$ for a second internal drive?

    GPU was updated. You have to decide whether it's worth it for you.

    I dont think you're missing out on much. Yes, it's frustrating. Get a friend to drive you?
  4. Ravich macrumors 6502a

    Oct 20, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Oh give him a break. Prior to the last week, there was no indication whatsoever that an update would happen before September.
  5. revelated macrumors 6502a


    Jun 30, 2010
    Because of all the people who kept saying "IT'S NOT COMING!!!" and whatnot.

    OP, if I were you, I would just man up and get it exchanged. I question how you got it home in the first place - I assume you have no car? Why can't you just take that method back to the store and get it done?

    Also, is that literally the closest Apple Store?
  6. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

    Jul 5, 2010
    New York
    Do you have a car? if not get a friend to give you a lift, and come to the apple store near me in Manhasset, NY. There's ample parking, and the store is HUGE.
  7. rmgride macrumors newbie

    Jul 27, 2010
    I'm in a similar situation. Have a 27" i5 set to deliver tomorrow that I ordered online last week. I called 1-800-MY-APPLE and was offered a full refund or $200 off the old model. Waiting for benchmarks before deciding if the new model is worth $200.
  8. dagomike macrumors 65816

    Jun 22, 2007
    It was obviously coming. With back to school in the next 2-3 weeks would be been a really good guess.

    If the previous specs and your needs justified not waiting, then you have nothing to regret.
  9. ntrigue macrumors 68040


    Jul 30, 2007
    I would just handle it via delivery rather than transporting it yourself.
  10. scallopdelion thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 18, 2010
    I've been watching these boards every day for the last 3 months. My computer was stolen in March and I've been computerless for several months now. After the speculated updates didn't happen in the second Tuesday of July, I figured it would be at least til August, but the consensus on the boards here was they weren't coming til September. So I bit the bullet and bought it that Thursday.
  11. Ravich macrumors 6502a

    Oct 20, 2009
    Portland, OR
    How do you figure? The iMac had been on an 8-11 month update cycle for the last several years. Why on earth would we assume that "back to school" was going to change this all of a sudden?
  12. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

    Jul 31, 2007

    I don't see why you are upset with this, since its a relatively Minor Speed Bump for the top level Quad i5 & i7. I mean, its almost the same.

    The refresh mainly was for the lower end, going to i3 and the baseline getting a discreet graphic card.

    Minor speed bump for the top level and no redesign at all. Come on!
  13. pixel-vs-pencil macrumors member

    Jul 25, 2010
    I was in almost the same situation as you, been computerless since March when my 1st gen G5 iMac broke. Waited for months for an update, reading these forums religiously. When the update didn't come on 20th July I decided I couldn't handle waiting a moment longer, so I ordered last Wednesday. My i5 quad arrived Monday and I'm planning on getting it replaced with a new iMac. I agree with you, before I ordered there was no specific rumour that carried much weight, not until at least 2 days after I ordered.
  14. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    That's the nature of the computer industry. There's always a newer/faster computer coming around the corner.

    That doesn't mean your current computer is any slower, or nor performs worse then it did before the update?

    Be content, and enjoy your iMac, there's no reason why you should be upset, the i7 iMac you have is a great, fast awesome computer.
  15. eawmp1 macrumors 601


    Feb 19, 2008

    Stop with the P(erformance) envy. Macs are always the best value on release day. It's September in 5 weeks, so the "I bit the bullet argument" is ridiculous. You have a 48 hour window to get the newer iMac...only YOU can decide if the schlepp to the store is worth it. Stop complaining online, make a decision, and stick by that decision.
  16. Btom macrumors 6502a

    Nov 19, 2009
    You forgot to mention all the likely, but unmentioned improvements to the first year model (noisy screens, yellow tinge, slightly overheating this, or that - you name it).

    Tom B.
  17. aristobrat macrumors G5

    Oct 14, 2005
    Yes, they will refund the difference in price between what you paid and what they're now selling that same model for. That's always been their policy after an upgrade. Letting you exchange it w/o paying a restock fee is them waiving a policy for you.
  18. scallopdelion thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 18, 2010
    Thanks! this is really the only post I needed to read. Thank you everyone else for your "be happy with what you got" posts though.
  19. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

    Jul 30, 2009
    Did they offer you a discount? I would call again. See if they will give you a slight discount. I personally ordered the new i7 yesterday but 5% is not much and yah the graphics is better (i think) but by how much we are not sure.
  20. luffytubby macrumors 6502a


    Jan 22, 2008
    I still don't know how you can be "Upset". It's a spec jump, not a revision... not only that, price has increased by a significant margin, and basically nothing has been gained in GPU it seems, and little in CPU, unless your using apps that take advantage of QC!

    It just seems incredible dramatic, what's going on here - Also because that it was NOT the census of the board that there wouldn't come a update before september. That was just the voices of SOME people who happen to use this board, who were very vocal. Many others suspected it could be any day, as it was why the "waiting for imac thread" grew freakishly large each day and everyone got dissapointed in every tuesday.

    It also makes NO sense to me, that because it was not updated at some date in july, that it wouldnt be updated until August, which it almost is - it was updated 27 july, only a few days into august, so I think it's damn right hypocracy to be "upset" over 3-4 days in difference.

    This is one of those cases where Apple have no obligation as a bussiness to just return their products simply due to some egotistical selfish materialistic mantra, about having to have the latest and greatest, with the OP asking to get refund as a seperate product that has no influence on his product gets released.

    I could see it if this was a sale, significant change or revision something, but we're talking about this Imac update - More expenssive, tiny updates. I don't see it.
    This new Imac is already outdated before it hits the streets. It does not make anyones current machines better or worse. It's just equipment. This search for a "honeymoon" feel can't be a healthy illusion.

    I agree with some of the others, enjoy the Imac you bought. It's not worse than it was the day before yesterday, you didn't waste any money or anything.
  21. raccoontail macrumors regular

    Jul 5, 2007
    If you're not going to get one with an SSD I probably wouldn't bother. The SSD will give a major performance boost for everyday use, but it cost comes at a cost ($750 - that's more than a mac mini!) The other possibly notable new feature is the higher capacity SD Slot. If you don't use it for gaming or other 3D applications, the video upgrade isn't that important.
  22. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 30, 2009
    What surprised me is that I went to the Apple Store yesterday (to see if they had the new models) and they were selling the old models for full price to people....way to piss people off
  23. scallopdelion thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 18, 2010
    I spent $2,500 thirteen days ago. If what I just bought is now being sold for less than that, I'd like a refund for the difference. I'm not asking about your theories on business return policies, but rather Apple's factual return policy. Thanks!
  24. luffytubby macrumors 6502a


    Jan 22, 2008
    Right. Good luck anyways!

Share This Page