Pascal on CodeRunner

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by FTuga197, Sep 14, 2014.

1. FTuga197 macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I am studying programming and I need to start by training Pascal.
    If I buy CodeRunner on AppStore can I program Pascal? And how do I add that language?

2. briloronmacrumo macrumors 6502

briloronmacrumo

Emailing the CodeRunner developer http://krillapps.com/support/ might give you some answers. He/She will know if they ship a pre-set Pascal template. If not, my guess is you will have to define Pascal within CodeRunner.

3. larswik macrumors 68000

4. certsoft macrumors member

certsoft

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I took a Intro to Programming class that used Pascal in 1984. I'm surprised universities are still using Pascal as a teaching language, though. I though it would have been superseded by Python or Scheme by now.

6. Mr Bigins macrumors newbie

Yeah, 1984 is when I took Pascal in high school. I remember giving the teacher a hard time about Pascal being a dying language, and that C language is what he needed to learn and teach.

My HS only offered Basic and Pascal. After teaching myself basic, I wanted to learn machine or C language. Instead my programming skilz came to an end. I really enjoyed the sleepless nights.

But why, why do you want to learn such a limited language?

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

In 1979 I took a high school Fortran programing class. We typed our code on IBM punch cards and ran them at the local university.

1984, like I said it was Pascal. It was still batch processing but at least the punch cards were replaced by green-screen dumb terminals.

In 2014 I find myself in yet another Intro to Programming class, but now it's Python. We're using IDLE and with the option of using the school computer or our own laptop. How things have changed.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Yeah, well, when I was in HS, we could run Fortran right from the TTY in the classroom. The teacher wanted us to mark our code on hollerith-format cards, but no one ever did (the reader could fast-feed the cards, but the 110 baud TTY could not keep up, so we just logged in and wrote our code online). Of course, it was a pretty sad excuse for Fortran: it was an emulator, written in HP BASIC.

</one-up-man-ship>

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, a FORTRAN emulator written in BASIC. The thing must've screamed!