Passbook and Apple Pay settings not passcode or touch ID protected

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by blulegend, Oct 20, 2014.

1. blulegend macrumors regular

I don't really like how in the Settings App, the Passbook and Apple Pay settings window does not require authentication. You can see the billing address, phone number, and basic card info. I'd rather access to that information require the phone passcode or touch ID to access.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

have you phone set to auto lock in 1 min and the chances anyone unwanted can get to your settings.app is very slim to impossible

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

This is interesting considering the Passcode settings require you to enter your passcode to view/access them. Nice catch, OP.

4. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Well to even store credit cards, you HAVE to have Touch ID activated.

And the information present in the settings pane is essentially useless. All these know is if it's a Visa, Mastercard, or Amex. The last 4 digits, and whatever addresses you have set as your default, which is found even easier if you have them in your contact card or Emergency Card.

5. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Billing address and phone number are not any big deal. Neither are just the last 4 digits of a card.

6. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

Yea i just noticed that. If you turn passcode off all of your stored credit cards disappear and if you turn passcode back on it required you to reinsert the credit cards and start from square one. I don't know why Apple did this....kinda stupid to have to re save your credit cards EVERY SINGLE time. Boo!!!!

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have to use Touch ID or a passcode each time I unlock my phone. Therefore these things are secure unless I just leave my phone sitting around with the display on.

8. blulegend thread starter macrumors regular

Another thing that I have noticed is that touch ID doesn't actually confirm that I am the owner of the cards other than that it knows the phone was unlocked using touch ID. If I allow my wife to input one of her fingers into touch ID, she could use all my cards too.

I agree that since a prerequisite is to use touch ID, the chances of getting into the passbook settings is low. Thank you for reassuring me. I should've thought that through. Just thought it should have been less "in the open".

9. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I'm an authorized user on a family member's cc. I did an experiment and tried to enter the main cardholder's card instead of my own. It didn't go through immediately, like mine (it also registered the different name); I had to go through a second verification that wasn't required for my own card on that account.

FTR, we share a duplex, but not the same exact address, and do not have the same last name.