Passbook and Fandango

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Spoony, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Spoony macrumors regular

Wanted to share my experience with passbook and fandango to see if maybe someone can help me out.

So I have the updated Fandango app on my iphone. I bought a ticket for the movie Looper yesterday from Fandango's website. They give you an option for ticket delivery and I clicked "mobile ticket" (The theater I was going to in New York City accepted mobile tickets). I received a text message from fandango with a link that I clicked which took me to a QR code.

Nothing ever went inside passbook. I tried everything possible to find a place like "add to passbook" and there was nothing.

At the theater I tried using the QR code in the link fandango sent and it didn't work on either of the QR Code machines the theater had. In the end they typed my confirmation number into their compute and gave me a paper ticket.

So what gives? Did I do something wrong or is this thing just half baked? Did I need to buy the ticket through the app instead of through the website?

I think this all falls mainly on the 3rd party app makers. The starbucks app seams more straightforward. They give you an obvious option to add cash to your passbook but fandango is not as obvious.

2. Rigby macrumors 601

You should see your ticket in the Purchases section in the app. If you have purchased the ticket through the web site rather then the app, you have to sign in to your account first to view your purchase history.

3. Spoony thread starter macrumors regular

I went to the purchases history and didn't see the new movie in there.
    Is that the only place where you can add the move to passbook from the app?
    That seems a bit wonky if that is the case.

My opinion

There should be a link on the website "add to passbook"
    There shold be a link in the text you get "add to passbook"
    There should be an obvious link in the app "add to passbook"
    The app should know i bought a ticket and automatically add it to passbook.

4. Rigby macrumors 601

Were you logged in to your account when your purchased the ticket on the web site? I see all my past purchases there. When clicking on one of them, I see the barcode and a button for adding it to Passbook.
    I assume when you purchase the ticket in the app, it will show it directly at the end of the transaction (but I have not tried it yet). But yes, otherwise you should find them under Purchases.
    Really? I think it's completely logical.
    Both of these are technically possible, but Fandango has apparently not implemented this on their web site yet. It is even possible to download the Passbook file on a Mac and transfer it to the iPhone via iCloud.

5. Spoony thread starter macrumors regular

Rigby thanks for the reply. When I went to purchase history maybe it didn't update all the way. I was in an area that didn't have great service when i was checking it. If it's as easy as a link in the purchase history as "add to passbook" that works well. I was logged into my account b/c i saw all my past purchase history. I think adding an add to passbook link in a few more areas is a good idea.