Passbook is too sensitive.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gentlefury, Oct 6, 2012.

1. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Is there a way to lower the proximity sensitivity of passbook? I live across the street from a starbucks and it constantly shows it on my lock screen. It drains my battery like crazy. Shouldn't it require you to be like 10 feet from the store....not 500??

2. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I turned my location services off. I don't really see the need for it.

3. millerhifi macrumors regular

Same here. I just disabled location services and that Starbucks as one of my favorites.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

GPS technology in cell phones is nowhere near accurate enough (yet) to get things down to ten feet. My phone is telling me I'm sitting in the middle of my street right now....

5. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

It just seems like being across 2 parking lots and 4 lanes should be far enough to not say im at starbucks.

6. stringbeanie macrumors 6502

Funny, I have Starbucks in my passbook and it doesn't open when I walk into Starbucks at all. Location services on for the app. I have to unlock phone, open passbook and then it shows up. I'm disappointed with the functionality of passbook thus far.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You better get out of the way of the traffic. You don't want to be another Macrumors statistic. ;)

I think the idea is that Passbook wants to know when you're in the vicinity so that they can offer you coupons and special deals. Like when you're a block or two away from a Target and it's 98F outside, they can send you a quick coupon for a Slushee.

2 lots and 4 lanes sounds about right. Although I can see it getting annoying if you're that close to a Passbook vendor.

8. millerhifi macrumors regular

Yeah it's rather slow. The other reason why I went ahead and disabled it.
    Unless I was standing in a line waiting, I ended up having to manually open it anyways.

9. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Actually it is. GPS technology can track your location to within cm's, however it is intentionally setup not to be so accurate by the US govt (who maintain the GPS system) for military reasons apparently. And no this is not a conspiracy theory, but the plain truth.

10. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

I can buy this.

e911 was a gps standard that was enforced on all cell phones from about 2007+ and it can find a 911 caller pretty damn accurately...a lot more accurate than find my iphone!