Passbook Passes

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Ambush083, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Ambush083 macrumors regular

Ambush083

So other than the templates / beta / demo ones where would we actually acquire these passes? App Store? Passbook Store?

2. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Sorry in advance for sounding like a dick, but this has been discussed numerous times... Developers will build Passbook access into their apps through updates. iOS 6 just got officially announced three days ago... give it some time.

3. Ambush083 thread starter macrumors regular

Ambush083

You don't sound like a dick. It's all good appreciate the reply. I will try to be more vigilant in searching the forums. I really couldn't find anything on it. Wondering how that will work. Starbucks app already has a car scanner they might want you to keep the app and not provide the pass so they can advertise all their crap. Iunno.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

What did you search for? Searching the iOS6 forum with "Passbook" I found 4 pages of results.

Passbook is just a way to display a QR code that is scanned. It has some tricks but basically just displays a code to be scanned by the merchant.

5. BSben macrumors 6502a

I wonder what the back up plan for Passbook is, lets say you have a Passbook ticket for a flight, you get to the airport and the battery is flat.
    Or you are just about to show your iPhone to get the Passbook ticket scanned, but you have a clumsy day and drop the phone. Now the cracked screen will not be good enough to be read by a scanner. :eek:

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Merchants will have a record of your purchase. I suspect a manager will be called and he will use the App to search for your ticket using your Apple ID and then it will be scanned.

7. soulsteelgray macrumors regular

Using Starbucks as an example, my current theory for how it'll work is:

1. Download Starbucks app
    2. Set up your Starbucks card in the Starbucks app
    3. Transfer your Starbucks card to Passbook from the Starbucks app

At that point, you'd be completely free to delete the Starbucks app because your card is already in Passbook. If this is indeed how it's going to work, I'm going to keep the Starbucks app to keep track of my rewards anyways. :p

8. RabbitLuvr macrumors 6502

RabbitLuvr

I wonder if this is why the Starbucks app has been adding more features? They added in-app messages not too long ago, and now the free pick-of-the-week shows up in the app instead of needing to get the cards at the stores.

I'll be keeping my Starbucks app, because of the extra features, but if I like the interface of Passbook, I'll move all my store rewards cards over to Passbook and delete Key Ring. (I just hope I can find my rewards cards to re-enter them.)

9. jeme macrumors regular

So are there any active passbook passes at this time that anyone knows of?

10. soulsteelgray macrumors regular

There was that thing a week or two ago where a passenger on Virgin Australia was prompted to add their boarding pass to Passbook via Safari. A quick check of the App Store link from Passbook shows a rather odd assortment of apps including Instagram, Evernote, and Keynote. :p I'd say that's a glitch at the moment.

iOS 6 apps have begun rolling in, though; Reeder is the first one that comes to mind because it uses the new Facebook APIs. Maybe we'll see our first Passbook-friendly app later today? Or even tomorrow around the time iOS 6 is released to the public.

11. DArsenault macrumors regular

Well I think that should be the users responsibility. What if you went to a concert and forgot your ticket? Or forgot to print your boarding pass?

12. rogerbarrett macrumors regular

i don't think so that they will require any pass for App Store...