Passbook Starbucks

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by michael31986, Nov 5, 2014.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68040

Anyone noticing that the Starbucks passbook doesn't update right away anymore? I use to pay and it would show me new balance right away. Now I get home and it updates hours later pushing the notification of the new dollar amount. Anyone know why?

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

No idea why, but it's not an iOS 8 issue, as it does the same thing on my iPhone 5 running 7.1.2.

3. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

Any more? Mine never updated immediately. Mine would only update about once a week unless I did it manually.

4. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I refuse to admit that I take my macbook pro to starbucks and use my iphone to pay for coffee. Nope, never gonna admit it.

5. andreyirra macrumors regular

Well... that's nothing. A week ago I saw a girl literally carry and plug her 27-inches iMac at a Starbucks :eek:

6. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Yes, I have noticed this exact same thing.

7. tacomahunter macrumors regular

tacomahunter

On the card in passbook, flip the card turn off the auto updates and then wait a minute and turn it back on. All updated after that.

8. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

9. nexus4life macrumors regular

Pics or it didn't happen. Lol

10. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes but then I will have to do that every time. It use to update my balance right after

11. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

I believe you. Over the years, I've seen quite a few people with entire desktop computers set up at a table in Starbucks.

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

On Starbucks website, it has that it may take 4 hours for the balance to be updated. From what I understand, it seems to be how Starbucks processes this information and pushes the information to Passbook. For example, otherstores offer faster balance updates.

13. chezhoy macrumors regular

chezhoy

Dunkin Donuts does the same thing. I told the wife there was $10 and some change...she said there was way less than that since she was using it, haha.

14. H3boy macrumors regular

H3boy

I believe it has to do with the new tipping system starbucks added not too long ago. It waits until the time runs out on the tipping window before it updates.

15. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68040

16. ashton18 macrumors regular

ashton18

Same thing here.

Sometimes it says that it hasn't updated in 17 hours or more.. even when I pull down the card to refresh it.

17. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Starbucks have a tipping system?

I'll start tipping them when I don't have to go back in there after realising they've used gingerbread syrup instead of caramel (happens a ridiculous amount!).

18. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I've noticed this too. It bugs me so much I've started using the Starbucks app instead of passbook. Literally takes hours to update in passbook, and manually pulling down to update doesn't, nor has it ever worked for me.

19. jayes macrumors regular

This worked for me. Thanks. I tried closing, opening, going through the Starbucks app - all to no avail. But it's a little annoying to have to do this manually after each visit.

20. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I see the same thing on mine but see it too on the iTunes card in Passbook. When I make a purchase it does not update right away. I can flip the switch to manual then back to auto update and it will but not automatically. In the past I would pay and right away it would update my total. The tip option is a good point. I have seen that pop up as much as two hours after purchase.

21. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

The new tipping option has nothing to do with it. The Dunkin Donuts card does the same thing. Also when you reload the balance doesn't update like it did before. Seems to be an issue with the interaction between apps and passbook. Likely a regression introduced with all the Apple Pay work.