Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willie5566

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Can someone explain passbook to me? I thought all of the passbook apps would be stored in the passbook icon. So far it looks like you still have to download separate apps which then needs to be housed individually on the the iPhone. WTF?!?!? Am I missing something?

nigelquest

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Once the app adds adds its data to passbook you can delete the app. At least for the ones I have tried.

Willie5566

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
You are correct sir. Seperate apps are needed (for the time being anyways).

I don't get this at all. So it's basically another gateway to the app store? This ****** stupid.

Once the app adds adds its data to passbook you can delete the app. At least for the ones I have tried.

I have the Starbucks app and the Fandango app and neither show up in my passbook. I assume if I delete them then they will be gone from my phone.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I don't get this at all. So it's basically another gateway to the app store? This ****** stupid.

I have the Starbucks app and the Fandango app and neither show up in my passbook. I assume if I delete them then they will be gone from my phone.

Update your Starbucks app, its in my passbook with a balance on my starbucks card associated with the passbook entry.

Fandango only adds purchased tickets to your passbook

American Express has a nice Passbook app.

So far I use Walgreens, AMEX, Starbucks, and I've messed around with the target mobile coupons. I like Passbook, hopefully Apple gets more support from companies with it. It's much easier than carrying around merchant gift cards or reward cards.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
this may be a stupid question but how do you get them to "import" into your passbook. I can't figure it out....

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

agreed. You still need the app for future use in passbook. Maybe the current ticket/coupon will save, but you still need the app for later use. Also, the fandango app already did what passbook added, so it seems useless.

----------

this may be a stupid question but how do you get them to "import" into your passbook. I can't figure it out....

The app will have an option to "add to passbook" in settings.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

Its not a stupid question at all. Whenever Apple releases something that we out here start to question then the standard response is "Duh! Its not for YOU, its for the average consumer that you dont understand". Well, PassBook is aimed squarely at the average consumer who uses club cards and coupons but it is extremely unintuitive and poorly executed. Im trying to use passbook now but I definitely wouldnt recommend this to a non-geek, and thats a problem Apple needs to address.

Oh. And as for the answer, the "import" is burried somewhere in the app. Its not always consistent so you just have to dig. And if you want to make custom cards then go to passsource.com for things like Reward Zone, Blockbuster or various other club cards.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
Its not a stupid question at all. Whenever Apple releases something that we out here start to question then the standard response is "Duh! Its not for YOU, its for the average consumer that you dont understand". Well, PassBook is aimed squarely at the average consumer who uses club cards and coupons but it is extremely unintuitive and poorly executed. Im trying to use passbook now but I definitely wouldnt recommend this to a non-geek, and thats a problem Apple needs to address.

Oh. And as for the answer, the "import" is burried somewhere in the app. Its not always consistent so you just have to dig. And if you want to make custom cards then go to passsource.com for things like Reward Zone, Blockbuster or various other club cards.

ah thank you. I was still seeing the "Apple Store" on the Passbook app because I had not been able to add one. I went through the Starbucks one (which has a nice faqs and tells you to hit manage, then your card and then add to passbook) and now my passbook looks a little different. Guess I just need to play with it :) No idea if it will actually be useful but worth a shot! thank you for your help!

RipeRetina

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
Maryland
Willie, yea, your missing something. I'm using passbook for Starbucks (as of yesterday), fandango, target & sephora. They all show up in passbook although I haven't deleted the apps, I probably could because I probably won't use them now. Well, yea, I need the starbucks one to reload again.

So, for 'certain' apps, you can probably just use passbook. But for the ones that you use that has a balance, that might still require using another app to reload it, hopefully in the future passbook will do more, I don't see why they wouldn't build on this.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Willie, yea, your missing something. I'm using passbook for Starbucks (as of yesterday), fandango, target & sephora. They all show up in passbook although I haven't deleted the apps, I probably could because I probably won't use them now. Well, yea, I need the starbucks one to reload again.

So, for 'certain' apps, you can probably just use passbook. But for the ones that you use that has a balance, that might still require using another app to reload it, hopefully in the future passbook will do more, I don't see why they wouldn't build on this.

wouldn't you have to keep fandango in order to re-buy tickets?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.