Passbook

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Willie5566, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Willie5566 macrumors regular

Can someone explain passbook to me? I thought all of the passbook apps would be stored in the passbook icon. So far it looks like you still have to download separate apps which then needs to be housed individually on the the iPhone. WTF?!?!? Am I missing something?

2. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

You are correct sir. Seperate apps are needed (for the time being anyways).

3. nigelquest macrumors member

Once the app adds adds its data to passbook you can delete the app. At least for the ones I have tried.

4. coltman75 macrumors regular

In addition to apps, Passbook passes can be generated from Safari, too.

5. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't get this at all. So it's basically another gateway to the app store? This ****** stupid.

I have the Starbucks app and the Fandango app and neither show up in my passbook. I assume if I delete them then they will be gone from my phone.

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Update your Starbucks app, its in my passbook with a balance on my starbucks card associated with the passbook entry.

Fandango only adds purchased tickets to your passbook

American Express has a nice Passbook app.

So far I use Walgreens, AMEX, Starbucks, and I've messed around with the target mobile coupons. I like Passbook, hopefully Apple gets more support from companies with it. It's much easier than carrying around merchant gift cards or reward cards.

7. kalexn macrumors 6502

this may be a stupid question but how do you get them to "import" into your passbook. I can't figure it out....

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

agreed. You still need the app for future use in passbook. Maybe the current ticket/coupon will save, but you still need the app for later use. Also, the fandango app already did what passbook added, so it seems useless.

----------

The app will have an option to "add to passbook" in settings.

9. urkel macrumors 68030

Its not a stupid question at all. Whenever Apple releases something that we out here start to question then the standard response is "Duh! Its not for YOU, its for the average consumer that you dont understand". Well, PassBook is aimed squarely at the average consumer who uses club cards and coupons but it is extremely unintuitive and poorly executed. Im trying to use passbook now but I definitely wouldnt recommend this to a non-geek, and thats a problem Apple needs to address.

Oh. And as for the answer, the "import" is burried somewhere in the app. Its not always consistent so you just have to dig. And if you want to make custom cards then go to passsource.com for things like Reward Zone, Blockbuster or various other club cards.

10. kalexn macrumors 6502

ah thank you. I was still seeing the "Apple Store" on the Passbook app because I had not been able to add one. I went through the Starbucks one (which has a nice faqs and tells you to hit manage, then your card and then add to passbook) and now my passbook looks a little different. Guess I just need to play with it :) No idea if it will actually be useful but worth a shot! thank you for your help!

11. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

It's more like a start of new commercial model. I believe the UX will be improved over time.

12. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

Willie, yea, your missing something. I'm using passbook for Starbucks (as of yesterday), fandango, target & sephora. They all show up in passbook although I haven't deleted the apps, I probably could because I probably won't use them now. Well, yea, I need the starbucks one to reload again.

So, for 'certain' apps, you can probably just use passbook. But for the ones that you use that has a balance, that might still require using another app to reload it, hopefully in the future passbook will do more, I don't see why they wouldn't build on this.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

wouldn't you have to keep fandango in order to re-buy tickets?

14. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

Yep, you got it.