Passcode and Touch Id combinations

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
In iOS 7.1.2 I had my Touch Id enabled for App store and a passcode.

But in that case I was able to unlock my phone without passcode but use touchid for app store

In iOS 8.0.2 it seem like I cannot have have touchid for appstore without enabling screen lock.

is this hos you guys use too?

I don't want to have passcode for screen unlock just want to use Touch id for Appstore . That is all i want

Is this not possible in the new os?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
That has always been the case. Using Touch ID you always have to set a passcode.

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
That has always been the case. Using Touch ID you always have to set a passcode.
I only want to use TouchID to authenticate with Appstore

Now what happens:
- I set passcode
- I set TouchID
- Immediately phone unlock needs TouchID or passcode to unlock
- I say "Passcode off" and TouchID is disabled

In IOS 7.1.2 this was not the case. I was able to disable lock screen passcdde and have TouchID authenticate Appstore.

Or am i doing it wrong?

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
In iOS 7.1.2 I had my Touch Id enabled for App store and a passcode.

But in that case I was able to unlock my phone without passcode but use touchid for app store

In iOS 8.0.2 it seem like I cannot have have touchid for appstore without enabling screen lock.

is this hos you guys use too?

I don't want to have passcode for screen unlock just want to use Touch id for Appstore . That is all i want

Is this not possible in the new os?
I just tired and no, you can't do that. Already filed a bug report to Apple and hope they can bring this back.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Maybe I remember it wrong. But I have tried to do exactly that before iOS 8 and it did not work.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I figured it out. Only way to do it is if you set the timer for passcode to maybe 4 hours. This way you have Touch ID for appstore and you can swipe to unlock. You must have have had set a timer before but forgot about it. Apple hasn't changed anything.

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
I figured it out. Only way to do it is if you set the timer for passcode to maybe 4 hours. This way you have Touch ID for appstore and you can swipe to unlock. You must have have had set a timer before but forgot about it. Apple hasn't changed anything.
Where can I set the timer for Passcode? I only see "immediately"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.