Passcode forgotten iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by noodley, Dec 31, 2013.

1. noodley macrumors newbie

Just got my daughter a new Iphone 5s. She has locked herself out before she was even connected to Itunes. All we get now after many guesses is PHONE DISABLED. Have tried several fixes on Utube but nothing worked. No problem loosing all data an restoring but seems like we can't even do that. It has been suggested that I send it to SanFran USA however we don't even live in the USA...there must be an easier way...Any suggestions anyone:confused:

2. SumYoungGai macrumors 6502a

There should be a timer when the iPhone is disabled - Usually for a few minutes.
    Advice I give you might not be 100% correct so you might have to take it with a grain of salt.

You could always try a DFU restore.

3. cynics macrumors G4

On iOS 7 you maybe SOL. Interested to see other post.

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

If Find My iPhone was turned on, you can do a wipe of the device remotely. However, you'll need her username and Pawword.

5. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Wont help and wont help, if find my iPhone was enabled. You MUST have the iCloud acct info. If that was not enabled then DFU most likely would work. If find my iPhone was active you will either have to remember the AppleID and pswd or visit Apple with proof of ownership and they should be able to assist.

6. salimdao macrumors member

salimdao

Did she set up her fingerprint during the initial set up phase?

7. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

But from the thread title she forgot her passcode (we don't know about her password), so hopefully a restore/wipe will be possible.

8. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

Oops my mistake. Yes if that is the issue then putting iPhone in recovery mode and restoring with iTunes should solve it.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

No on the latter. You must have iCloud acct info period. Apple has no way to override that. To the point that they won't service or replace a device that has it turned on.

10. sbailey4 macrumors 68040

sbailey4

I have read a post from another user who says otherwise. Apple told him at first they cant help but got a manager and turns out Apple does have a means to bypass that. Had to have proof of ownership like receipts or AppleCare certificate or something. Anyway that's what the poster said. I cannot say 100% for sure since I have not had to do it myself. Cannot remember where that info is either but maybe another thread here on MR.

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

My boyfriend is an Apple Genius and instruction from Corporate is no, there is zero way to remove it if they lack the credentials for the iCloud account. Anyone saying they got it removed is confused about what happened. The manager might have found a way to get past the block in the service system and swapped the phone to one that wasn't locked. But due to a myriad of legal issues Apple didn't include systems to look up the account from any device info nor ways to remove the locks. Which is why they included the blocks to prevent swaps, recycling etc without turning off the activation lock by the owner first.

And given that there is little that really proves you own something I doubt apple would remove the swap lock in the service system either. Receipts just show you paid for it. Not that you didn't give it as a gift, resell it etc.

My guess is that the poster was merely assisted in figuring out which of his scad of emails was an Apple ID and resetting the passwords so he could try them all until he unlocked it himself

12. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Passcode forgotten Iphone 5s

Sorry just want to correct a few things here. I work for a school system that runs a 1:1 iPad initiative program for the students. When iOS 7 came out, it removed our supervision profiles from the iPad. This caused many of our iPads to go into activation lock when we wiped/restored iPads since students forgot the Apple ID/password they used for iCloud.

It took some doing, but with proof of ownership and the serials, we were able to get all 30+ activation locked iPads unlocked. You can't just go to an apple store and do this though. We had to go through the engineers. Apple can most certainly remove the activation lock remotely. It's just a matter of if they will.

13. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Given that your situation is unique regarding the use of educational program supplied devices, that is likely why you were able to get help en masse for your fleet of iPads. I don't think that an individual should expect to encounter your results. :( I do think that it's quite wonderful that you were successful. :)

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

So let me get this straight. You bought your daughter a iPhone 5S, she enabled the passcode, typed it in TWO TIMES to confirm and then forgot the passcode?

Tell me, where did you steal that iPhone 5S from? :rolleyes:

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

It happens. I've done it and my daughter did as well. Luckily, I was able to key in my code / got lucky and realized I just switched two numbers and fat fingered it. My daughters is on my desk as I type waiting to get restored.

16. eww7633 macrumors regular

For the average user, it's really not going to be possible. For business or education customers, it is very possible to get it removed.

17. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Or it was like that? Guy bought used 5S from Ebay and seller used one trick- passcode, like proof of successful shipment to buyer, because if buyer will ask seller for passcode then it means buyer got package and he wont be able get refund of "not" shipped 5S....and now tries to bypass passcode?

18. Dabiellie macrumors newbie

You can use iTunes to solve this problem:
    Connect your iPhone to your computer which you have used to sync the iPhone.
    Launch iTunes, select the iPhone in the "Devices" list, then "Summary" at the top of the screen. If iTunes doesn't automatically sync your iPhone, do so manually and confirm that the sync and backup were successful.
    Click “Check for Update.” iTunes tells you if there is a newer version of the iPhone software available.
    Click Restore. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the restore process. When restoring, it is recommended that you again backup the iPhone when prompted.
    When iOS Setup Assistant asks to set up your iPhone, choose "Restore from iTunes backup."
    Select your device in iTunes and choose the most recent backup of your iPhone.
    After this process, your iPhone should be restored with the information from its last backup, but it no longer will have the passcode enabled.