iPhone X Passcode is required to enable Face ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iapplelove, May 28, 2018.

1. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

So I’ve noticed over the last few months my phone has been prompting me to enter my passcode to enable Face ID.

I think certain circumstances would prompt this, like not entering my passcode after a week? Also if for some reason I manually disabled Face ID.

Today it asked me twice to enable Face ID again. It’s a launch day iPhone X. Only set up Face ID the first day. It works pretty damn flawless for me. Maybe I’m disabling ng it in my pocket and not even know it.

Phone works great. Face ID never fails for me. But I noticed it for a few months now and thought I was crazy.

But twice today lead me to create a post and see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?

Thanks!

2. Newtons Apple, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Maybe once a month I have been asked to enter the passcode. Twice in the same week is rare. I look at it as Apple’s way to make sure you do not forget your passcode. FaceID is close to perfect for me, too.

3. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

I've had this a lot with TouchId on both my 7 plus and iPad 9.7 Pro - figured myself it may have received one too many false attempts and so defaulted to the passcode.

4. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I think there is a time limit just like what is used for Touch ID. I had to get a replacement device because of something like this. However, once I got prompted to enter my passcode it would not reenable faceid. I had to reboot to get it to work again. Once this started happening daily I pursued the replacement.

5. iapplelove thread starter macrumors 601

iapplelove

Once I enter my passcode the phone is always good to go. I do think it’s a bit strange and not in the normal range to ask me for my passcode as much as it has.

Guess I will just keep monitoring the issue as the phone works as intended.

6. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Sometimes I've noticed this happening at my work a lot where I'll switch between WiFi networks or LTE/WiFi (or low signal all together due to office building). Not at home though.

Might be a security feature too if iOS thinks phone is in different location.

7. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Is your face morphing into iapplelove2.0?

8. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

If you go too long (three days?) without unlocking your phone, it will require your password / passcode.

If you reboot your phone, it will require your password / passcode.

I'm not sure what else triggers it, but some events will force the password / passcode.