Passcode Lock - Emergency Call --> Any number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fulgham, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Fulgham macrumors regular

I have the Passcode Lock turned on.

With my previous cell phones, you are still permitted to make an emergency call when the phone is locked. BUT you could only call 911 or 221(?)!

With my 3G... when it is locked and you press emergency call, the phone lets you call any number you want!

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Well that sucks lol. But honestly, what's the worst that could happen? Someone steals your phone and uses 100 minutes before you cancel it? It doesn't give you access to contacts right?

3. theunlocker macrumors member

4. Fulgham thread starter macrumors regular

I dunno... I'd prefer my phone be of NO use to someone that steals it.

With the lock on that means they could answer calls as well... so it would be quite functional..... until i cancel it.

5. Fulgham thread starter macrumors regular

I guess what I am saying is that if someone has the gall to steal my phone... I want it to be completely worthless to them... Then might have a chance to get it back!

(one of our company blackberries was stolen last year.. but the thief couldn't get the phone going on another line. So they called the owner info on the lock screen ... missing from the iphone.... and they wanted a reward for getting the phone back.)

Also... I hope they add remote wipe to the Mobile Me list of "services"

6. apockalipse macrumors member

I don't know about you, but it wouldn't take me too long to realize that my phone was gone!

7. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I see what you mean here. Kind of like "In your FACE thief!"

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I believe this was promised at least for enterprise users....

9. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I wonder if it's a bug?
    Or if they are legitimately allowing emergency calls to anybody.

10. Fulgham thread starter macrumors regular

I know it works on exchange servers... But nothings been announced (that I am aware of) for MM

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Don't be dumb and let your phone get stolen. Yes, that's if it is your fault. If it isn't your fault, call AT&T and have your phone turned off (IMEI backlisted) so they can't make calls.

They won't get long if the phone gets turned off, and if they do go over your minutes somehow, AT&T might be nice and cut you some slack.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL I think, right now, the MobileMe emphasis is just on having it deliver mail in a consistent fashion for several days at a time. :eek: :eek:

It's a smart place to put it, and it'd probably be a good selling point to a small subset of people considering paying for the service.

13. dave006 macrumors 68020

If your iPhone 3G is lost or stolen the best you can do with AT&T is get them to block the SIM. They do not manage a blacklist of IMEIs.

It only takes a few simple steps for someone to get the iPhone 3G or almost any GSM phone reset and ready for their use or resale. :(

14. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

When you lock your phone it should only make 911 calls. Its common sense apple.

15. dave006 macrumors 68020

The remote "wipe" is designed to protect your data. It does not premanently turn you iPhone into an iBrick.

A few simple steps and it is ready for it's new owner. :(