Passcode lockout glitch - heads up

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jefe99, Mar 17, 2012.

1. jefe99 macrumors newbie

Got my new iPad last night and all was well until I slapped on the mag cover and closed it. I was locked out, even though I had not set up a passcode and the old passcode had not migrated over with everything else from my iPad 2. The more I tried, the longer period of time the iPad was disabled. Finally, I found another user online who had a similar problem. Somehow, the new iPad will default to your Outlook Exchange password if you don't immediately set one before closing and locking your new 'pad. I would never have thought of that in a million years, but sure enough, after waiting for the disable period to pass, entering my Exchange password (also my NT login from work) unlocked the device and I was able to set a simple passcode.

Just posting as a heads up in case anyone else encounters this.

2. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

sounds like a policy pushed by the exchange server, not a bug.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

That is exactly what it is. This is not a glitch but a policy that your Exchange Administrator has put in place requiring a passcode.

4. jefe99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the explanation. Seems a little odd to me that Exchange can reach out and lock the device without any notification, recourse, etc. The device had gone to sleep several times with no lockout, but when the mag cover was put on, it was locked.

Anyway. thanks for the info.