Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leslie M.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Sherman Oaks, CA
I'm hoping I can get help here since Apple has been of no help to me with this particular problem.

I am trying to help my 95 year old mother with a passcode problem. A few months ago, she got locked out of her iphone 5 because she did not know the passcode. I wiped the phone and restored it using recovery mode, which solved the problem with that particular phone.

Now, she has purchased a new iphone 7 plus and when setting it up at the Verizon store, it asked for a passcode. Not having any idea what it was (since we didn't need it after recovery on older phone), the sales person told us to bypass the problem by never signing in to Apple. That does work as far as using the phone, however there is a constant pop-up to sign in, which we have to ignore. Furthermore, we now want to upgrade to IOS 11, which can't be done without a passcode. Is there any way to change/recover/delete a long lost passcode in order to be able to update the phone?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are you asking about a passcode, or Apple ID password?

Leslie M.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Sherman Oaks, CA
I have the apple ID and password and thought that the original passcode had been wiped out with the recovery and reinstall on the old phone. Is it possible that the new phone set-up is asking for a new passcode? Thanks.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have the apple ID and password and thought that the original passcode had been wiped out with the recovery and reinstall on the old phone. Is it possible that the new phone set-up is asking for a new passcode? Thanks.
A completely new install without a backup being restored shouldn't ask for a passcode--it might ask to create a passcode during the startup process, but there wouldn't be an existing one that it would ask for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.