Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
I'm having an issue where my watch gets stuck in this cycle of having me type my passcode on my watch every single time, despite not taking it off my wrist. A couple of times, restarting has made behave normally, but since Saturday night I had to disable the passcode, as it wouldn't stop asking for it.

Today, Apple said it could be my Google account for work that is using Exchange. I turned off my calendars (the only think I had turned on on my iPhone) and that seemed to solve the problem, until tonight when I took it off my wrist to shower, then it's back to asking me every single time.

I have a follow up appointment with Apple tomorrow with the representative that helped me. Hopefully they have a workaround.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I'm having an issue where my watch gets stuck in this cycle of having me type my passcode on my watch every single time, despite not taking it off my wrist. A couple of times, restarting has made behave normally, but since Saturday night I had to disable the passcode, as it wouldn't stop asking for it.

Today, Apple said it could be my Google account for work that is using Exchange. I turned off my calendars (the only think I had turned on on my iPhone) and that seemed to solve the problem, until tonight when I took it off my wrist to shower, then it's back to asking me every single time.

I have a follow up appointment with Apple tomorrow with the representative that helped me. Hopefully they have a workaround.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

Go to the apple watch app then general then make sure wrist detection is turned on

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Go to the apple watch app then general then make sure wrist detection is turned on

It is. All of the settings are correct. And it isn't consistent about when it asks me for it.

When I set it up Friday night it behaved normally for a while, then started asking me every time. Restarting fixed it.

Then it started again in Saturday, and it only stopped once I disabled it, even after resetting the watch and setting it all back up.

Stopped today when we removed the Google account, but now it's back and won't stop asking me for it.

Zelegorm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2014
I have the same behavior. For a while it worked very well. Then something must happened and now it doesn't recognize my wrist at all. I've resetted my iphone and I've resetted my watch. Nothing. Everytime I raise my wrist, the watch asked me for the password. Turning off the raise wrist detection - and no passcode is asked.

Any ideas?

itmaestrot

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
Germany
I have the same behavior. For a while it worked very well. Then something must happened and now it doesn't recognize my wrist at all. I've resetted my iphone and I've resetted my watch. Nothing. Everytime I raise my wrist, the watch asked me for the password. Turning off the raise wrist detection - and no passcode is asked.

Any ideas?

what kind of band do you have? Maybe it isn't tight enough to recognize the wrist..

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I had the same issue, the passcode was forced due to exchange, the only setting I enabled was to unlock the watch with the iPhone. And no issues now

Make sure that setting is enabled, restart both devices just in case

Also make sure the watch is not too loose on your wrist, that will make the watch think it's off the wrist and re-enable the passcode.

Give that a try.

Edit: when you look at your watch face does it have a green locked symbol on top?

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
I do not have Exchange setup. I know you can setup gmail that way, and maybe I will try that as Apple seemed to think it has something to do with gmail settings.

The only troubling thing now is I have completely deleted that account from my iPhone, but the problem persists if I enable the passcode on my watch.

Zelegorm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2014
I've talked to the hotline and I will receive a new watch. There seems to be something wrong with mine.

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
If you have tattoos in that area with black ink that will throw off the watch detection.

tiggertoo

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Midwest, USA
When I put the watch on it shouldn't be locked and asking for a passcode if I've got it set up to unlock with the iPhone, right? It's not happening every time I raise my wrist though.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
When I put the watch on it shouldn't be locked and asking for a passcode if I've got it set up to unlock with the iPhone, right? It's not happening every time I raise my wrist though.

You still have to unlock the phone after you've put on the watch. Then the watch should unlock without the passcode.

Andy in Embsay

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
Do you guys with this Exchange issue also have a 'usage' screen in the app that stays blank? My watch requires me to unlock via my phone when I take it off, but that's not really a problem- but the usage screen in the watch app shows no data, and that started when the security thing kicked in (I have work email via my phone vis Exchange).

pjschmid

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
MDM & long passcode with wrist detect

I'm on chat with :apple: right now because of a similar problem. I can make it go away if I turn off wrist detection but I shouldn't have to do that (no ApplePay without it). I think there are some issues arising around corporate security policies interfering with the wrist detection unlocking the watch. My company requires long passcodes although not complicated non-numeric passcodes and has an MDM on the phone. (I have seen some other issues about entering some more complicated passcodes on the watch as well.)

I will keep you updated as to what I learn from :apple:.

Last edited:

littlezumbo

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Los Angeles, Ca.
I'm on chat with :apple: right now because of a similar problem. I can make it go away if I turn off wrist detection but I shouldn't have to do that (no ApplePay without it). I think there are some issues arising around corporate security policies interfering with the wrist detection unlocking the watch. My company requires long passcodes although not complicated non-numeric passcodes and has an MDM on the phone. (I have seen some other issues about entering some more complicated passcodes on the watch as well.)

I will keep you updated as to what I learn from :apple:.

Hmm, so this has nothing to do with the "Unlock with iPhone" feature? I'd think if this were enabled, the AW would repeatedly ask for a passcode if your iPhone was locked at the same time. So, to avoid password prompts, the feature would need to be disabled.

Edit: I see two other people mentioned the "Unlock with iPhone" feature, but it's unclear whether you have tried disabling it.

Just a thought, as I'm still without my AW after ordering it via the app at xx:02:37 on 4/10. Pretty extraordinary really...as well as a colossal waste of sleep.

Last edited:

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
This could potentially be a pretty big problem, given the way the watch is usable for Apple Pay. I would contact Apple, if only to make them aware that some people are having issues.

Got the Shakes

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
This could potentially be a pretty big problem, given the way the watch is usable for Apple Pay. I would contact Apple, if only to make them aware that some people are having issues.

That's my plan tomorrow.

----------

It clearly has no idea that it's on my wrist. Need a passcode every time, and notifications aren't getting sent to my Watch. Oddly enough though the heart rate feature still works which I thought used the same sensors for wrist detection.

pjschmid

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
It took a while and many call (too many IMO) but my watch is finally on it's way back to :apple:. Unlike all the other posts I have read about support experiences for problems, mine was not handled well or quickly. My advice, if you are not getting a response and being put in black hole engineering queues, keep calling and talking to different support representatives until you find one that will listen and do something other than hand your case off to 'engineering' only to leave you hanging for days or even weeks. My case had already been in a holding pattern for a week and I'm sure it would have continued on for more had I not keep calling until I found someone who would do something.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
thats broken. when you put it on your wrist, it should only ask once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.