iPhone X Passcode required to enable faceid

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nrvna76, Apr 6, 2018.

1. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

So I intermittently get this issue. Faceid Shute down. I either get the passcode required message or just a faceid failure and entering the passcode does not reeneble faceid, only a restart gets it to work again.

Discussed with Apple, they were going to send out an express replacement and then I found out that service is $99. I’ve had this done before but do not remember a fee being attached, especially for a hardware error and not an accident on my part.

Anybody else run into this? Not sure if it’s worth the argument but the issue is becoming slowly more prevalent with my phone.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

You’re still in warranty. $99 is the deposit they take. Once you receive your replacement and they get your phone back, it’s refunded.

3. nrvna76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

In this instance the deposit was the $1,279 for the phone and that would be refunded less the $99 fee.

4. chrfr macrumors 604

The iPhone X hasn't been on sale for a year. Every one of them is under warranty, barring accidental damage.

5. nrvna76 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand the warranty. And Apple has said they will replace. In store would be free, if I want express replacement I have to pay $99.

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Per https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/express-replacement the $99 is for an incident fee (generally related to accidental incidents or something like that), while something that is under normal warranty coverage shouldn't incur any fees. Sounds like whoever was trying to process this was trying to process this as more of an incident replacement of some sort rather than a warranty replacement.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It is Apple’s way to stop superfluous returns.

Apple has changed how they handle warranty issues due to the abuse.

8. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

So they charge for something that is covered under warranty?

9. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Iirc, the Express Replacement Service itself was included free with AppleCare+ and $29 for those without AC+. You should only be charged the $99 incident fee if the issue is due to accidental damage.