iPhone 11 Pro Passcode vs Password

Bill Av

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
With the ability to disable USB devices when the phone locked and to wipe the device after 10 tries, is there any real reason to use a password rather than a passcode? I've always used a password on my phone, but I'd like to start using a passcode.

MarkX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
A password with numbers and letters will be more secure than a passcode.

However, it’s extremely unlikely someone would guess your 4 digit passcode in ten attempts, even less unlikely if you use the 6 digit option.

Reactions: Bill Av

Bill Av

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Thanks. That’s what I thought, but wanted to make sure that there wasn’t something that I hadn’t considered

Reactions: MarkX

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
With the ability to disable USB devices when the phone locked and to wipe the device after 10 tries, is there any real reason to use a password rather than a passcode? I've always used a password on my phone, but I'd like to start using a passcode.
I use a 6-digit passcode for the simple reason that US case law shows that you can be compelled to provide a password to unlock your phone, while you cannot (currently) be compelled to provide a passcode.

Since my 6 digit passcode means something to me I remember it. It means nothing to anyone else.

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
Create a CUSTOM numerical passcode (all numbers). You can choose the number of digits you want to use (I recommend 6 or more).
Doing it this way, the passcode has to be entered AND the ok button must be pressed to initiate. There's no way to guess how many digits are in the passcode using this method. There could just be 4 or you could have 9 or more (a lot more). There's no way to tell. It makes hacking & cracking virtually impossible.

If you create an alphanumeric password (which has letters too) - then it'll suck big time every time you have to enter it no matter how easy it is because you're presented with the keyboard and all its tiny letters to poke at. It gets old really fast. Major pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.