Passing 3G to my son but don't want data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kadman, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I'm considering upgrading to a 3GS. I just haven't decided if the enhancements are enough to get me to bite. Part of this equation will be what happens to my old 16GB 3G. My son is dying for a new phone as his "ghetto" Nokia can't keep up with his 12,000+ text messages per month (using predictive text no less!) I would consider giving him my 3G, but I wouldn't want a data plan associated with it. Just using it in WiFi mode for any data would meet his needs.

I've heard rumors that AT&T scans the network for iPhones and will automatically add the data plan to his line once a scan picks it up. Is there a trusted data source that can confirm this? Can it be avoided if I jailbreak it? I'm thinking I might need to jailbreak it anyway just to get it into a mode where everything else (text, WiFi) works while disabling any 3G or Edge data traffic.

Just wanting to see if others have experience with this scenario.

2. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

If your son clicks pretty much any button he going to be raped with over charges. All push would have to be off. weather,stock,email,you tube,maps,safari, itunes, app store would all charge you.

3. core2duo macrumors member

If you jailbreak the phone, you can download BossPrefs, which will let you switch off Edge data transmission (3G can be turned off in the iPhone's Networks menu). Had to do this for a friend with an unlocked 2G on a data-free T-Mobile account, and so far he hasn't been charged a dime.

4. justanothernerd macrumors member

From what I understand, the best way to do this would be to:

1) upgrade to the 3gs, which will deactivate the iPhone 3g (and get rid of its dataplan)
    2) Don't tell AT&T you plan on giving it to your son
    3) Pop the simcard out of the Nokia and put it into the iPhone 3g - it should work just like that, but make sure to turn off the data on the iPhone so you don't accidentally rack up any charges.

AT&T has done random sweeps through the iPhone and sent texts being like "hey, you have to use a dataplan" but as far as I know, there hasn't been any repercussions from not having a dataplan. I would imagine that since you are buying a 3gs, your original iPhone 3g contract would become invalidated, so you don't owe AT&T having to get a dataplan, but they'll probably disagree. Not sure if this helps, but do a search around the forums and I think you'll find stories from people in similar situations.

5. Kadman thread starter macrumors 65816

Kadman

Yeah, the 3G->3GS data plan is no problem. The CS rep confirmed that just switching between those phones is no problem. Of course I wouldn't say anything about using the 3G on my son's line. I'm just trying to find someone with first hand experience or someone who has a link to a reliable source that outlines what happens when traveling down this path.

Thanks for the info so far. Hoping to find more details. The searching I've done just turned up "I heard", "friend of a friend" types of story without much credible evidence.

6. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

it doesn't matter if you have an iphone data plan or not, you'll get raped on the charges if you accidently click any button. I'd just give the iphone to your son, but only use it on wifi as an ipod touch, not a cell phone.

7. Kadman thread starter macrumors 65816

Kadman

...uh, maybe that's why I included all of the explanation about jailbreaking and turning off the ability to communicate data (other than SMS) via anything except WiFi. :rolleyes:

8. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

yes, i meant take the sim card out, use as an actual ipod touch. Because no matter how you jailbreak, turn off data, things happen, and you will be charged. Don't say I didn't warn you.

9. Kadman thread starter macrumors 65816

Kadman

You are simply clueless. This isn't what my post is even about. I appreciate people trying to be helpful but at least be able to grasp the concept of what the question is...

10. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

what am I clueless about? Your post is about you giving your son an iPhone to replace his Nokia and you asked the relevant question and I answered.

11. saDeRmac macrumors regular

You can try, but from my experience even if you don't register the IMEI with AT&T the monthly audit will still add the appropriate data package to the phone, because the back-end still notices it. PM me with any specific questions and I will be happy to elaborate.

12. ReneH0059 macrumors newbie

I Handed down my original iPhone to my sister. i jailbroke it and i called AT&T to block all internet access for her line. i have never been charged a cent for internet access. she only uses wifi. and yes at&t is well aware she is using an iPhone. just yesterday i had to call them again because for some reason they had enabled it. so i called them told them to block it because i never called in to unblock it. they re blocked the internet without a problem.

so i see no problem in you handing down your 3G to your son.:p

13. Kadman thread starter macrumors 65816

Kadman

No, I asked about AT&T finding an iPhone attached to his SIM during scans and the possibility of them automatically assigning a data plan based on the findings of that scan. You answered (incorrectly I might add) that the phone couldn't be used (as a phone) without hefty data charges due to inadvertent usage of apps. This isn't true and there are ways around this as others have already described.

14. Kadman thread starter macrumors 65816

Kadman

sadermac, reneh, thanks for that info. They seem to conflict one another and I'm starting to feel it may be somewhat of a crap shoot. I guess if I see the $30 plan show up on his account for some reason we'll have them turn it off. If it happens multiple times, I'll just sell it and go a different route for his next phone. He's been looking hard at the Samsung Impression. OLED display looks very nice and would probably meet his needs.

Thanks again.

15. saDeRmac macrumors regular

No problem and yes the Impression is the best touch screen phone (besides the iPhone) that I've used mainly because of that beautiful OLED display.

As always any specific questions can be answered by PM

saDeRmac

16. Kenal0 macrumors regular

You will have to jailbreak in order for him to use with his sim. I did this for my son with pay as you go account. If your son has a text plan then he should be able to send texts and use the phone. As long as he stays away from safari or data usage when not on wifi he will be okay. I was unaware the sms uses wifi any time.
    Kenal0

17. saDeRmac macrumors regular

a Word about SMS and MMS

SMS is not classified as data so if you use the native SMS app on the iPhone it still uses plan SMSes and sends it through a totally different protocol that doesn't use the Internet at all.

Now when MMS in 3.0 is released it will require at least the PAY PER USE data in order to work due to the fact that the message in itself is larger and cannot be transferred thorough the SMS protocol.

18. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I'm in the same situation. I plan on handing down my 1st gen iPhone but do not want to deal with another data plan. I have also found mixed opinions. I know how to block the data so it won't be used but don't want to be caught. Isn't there a way in the jailbreak to change the IMEI number? It would be very convenient to change the old iPhone to the previous razor that they are using.

19. saDeRmac macrumors regular

I think everything that is said should be taken at face value. I think that you would have to pull the baseband chip off the board in order to reprogram it to show that it has a different IMEI. I could be wrong.

20. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Yeah. I will probably just unlock and jailbreak it and use it as an iPod Touch for the moment.